Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

How to bleed rear brake?

8K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ccaveusf 
#1 ·
I installed the accutronix forward controls and need to bleed the rear brake, but I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help? Thanks.

#2 ·
#3 ·
You don't need a kit. But I would get a small piece of 1\8" hose and a small jug to drain brake fluid into. There's a little bleeder nipple on the rear cylinder, that's where you will use the hose and jug.

Open up the master cylinder (at your brake pedal) and don't forget to take the little rubber boot out of it. Then put some brake fluid in the cylinder, open the nipple on the rear cylinder about 1/4 of a turn ( it takes a small wrench but i don't remember what size), and depress the brake pedal. Then close the nipple and then let the brake pedal back up. Keep repeating that process (open nipple, depress pedal, close nipple, let pedal up) and soon you will feel resistance on the pedal and have fluid flowing into the jug. That's it. Close the nipple, fill your master cylinder to the proper level and close it up.

Caution : brake fluid will eat the paint off of anything you spill it on (ie. your bike frame) so be careful

#9 ·
You dont need any stinkin kit. just bleed like the dude above explained. start with fresh fluid. bleed till it comes out clean. refill. button everything up. done. its easy i cant figure out why any one would ever have dirty brake fluid. one a year. easy to do.

#11 ·
Thanks again for all the advice. Its amazing how easy a job is with a little guidance. Once again the members on the cafe have helped me learn more about my bike and perform work I did not previously know how to do.

#12 ·
One more question. I see there is a pin hole through the top of the master cylinder lid. Is this normal? Air and water cannot get through because of the inner rubber boot, but I thought that was odd. Does the hole help pressurize the brake system as you use brake?
Posted via Mobile Device

#13 ·
One more question. I see there is a pin hole through the top of the master cylinder lid. Is this normal? Air and water cannot get through because of the inner rubber boot, but I thought that was odd. Does the hole help pressurize the brake system as you use brake?
Posted via Mobile Device
It allows for the fluid to move to the piston and then allows the fluid to move back to the master.

if it was a totally closed system it would take a monster grip to pull the lever.

This is why fluid should be replaced every 2 years period.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.