Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Cold weather coming....

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  hawkdriver1965 
#1 ·
With colder weather closing in, and wanting to keep riding, I am trying two things. A pair of engine guard chaps and bat wings. Memphis Shades makes small wind deflectors which work somewhat. My thought was to follow some I have seen on Harleys and other style Hondas. The R/S version has fork covers so we are limited on our options. With another set of fork brackets, I made my own deflectors from Lexan and patterned after the Memphis Shades lowers. Along with the chaps it seems to do the job. Not a fairing but still blocks the wind.

#3 ·
The last few days to and from work have shown it does the job. With a half open jacket, no wind blows into it. I still get my jeans flapping without the chaps on the engine guards. so the airflow has changed. So far I am liking it. I may try a different shape later.

#5 ·
colder weather closing in
Hahahahahaha -- Seriously tho.. I sure hope this isn't going to be another season of reading the posts titled about how "cold" it is and how "depressed" someone is because it is "too cold"... I don't normally post the weather conditions here for riding, but that could just about drive me to it... Put a piece of leather between your teeth and "endure"...

This post is not "aimed" at anyone in particular, just an "early warning" for the potential whiners out there... seems like that is all that happens every so-called winter... :cheers:

#12 ·
Hahahahahaha -- Seriously tho.. I sure hope this isn't going to be another season of reading the posts titled about how "cold" it is and how "depressed" someone is because it is "too cold"...
....This post is not "aimed" at anyone in particular, just an "early warning" for the potential whiners out there... seems like that is all that happens every so-called winter... :cheers:
Be thankful you don't live in New England - we are about to enter the season of perpetual whining about how cold it is - how much winter stinks - how they wished they lived in Florida....and so on and so on..... My usual response is if you hate it that much - leave - otherwise quit complaining. Winter is just God's way of giving you downtime to do mods without a guilty conscience that you aren't out riding. :)

#7 ·
As it gets colder, I increase the number of pairs of socks I'm wearing...

#8 ·
I gotta ask...I can get some lexan, but where did you get the attaching hardware to hold them on? I have a few ideas i'd like to try, so a few trips to the local hardware stores might be in my near future. Also, with rope lights getting smaller everyday, might be able to run a border and etch some designs in the lexan....would make neat showpiece.

#9 ·
Try UnderArmour ColdGear as your first layer.

#10 ·
i use FirstGear overpants with the liner in for the winter. Same with my jacket. They are both mesh and are nice n cool in the summer (I wear shorts underneath, and the wind cuts right through) and the liners cut the cold wind in the winter. It seems I need an upgrade in gloves as my fingertips will get cold, after a half hour or so, and I need some neck protection. I have probably only been out as low as about 30 in the daytime, at least the sun warms my black clothing.

#11 ·
The brackets are from Memphis shades from HDL - Mounting kit for Lowers VTX 1300R & VTX1800 with covered forks (spec3). - SKU #: MEM-9891. The lower bracket has to be mounted with caution or the fender will come up and hit it. 4" up from the bottom edge of the fork cover is safe since the fork travel is slightly less than that. The trim lights would look like they are floating on clear lexan.

#13 ·
Yeah ... pretty soon it will be all the way down in the 60s here for the high! I'm ready to start complaining to somebody!

LOL

Arizona --- Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Buda_Jim

:cool:

#16 ·
I love the brisk weather--it's very comfortable with the right gear. And HEY--anyone from Arizona (SCAR) with access to warm weather year round can't talk!!!!!

:harder: :bleh: :nono:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.