Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Bike won't start

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  lzt0d2 
#1 ·
Hi my brother has a 02 1800 c and he left the ing. on and his bike battery. We charges the battery and cranked the engine but had a problem, the engine wasn't getting a spark. They told him it could be three things, the kickstand sensor (but the engine turns), the kill switch, or the computer. We asked a friend and he said that he should try to disconnect the battery and that should reset the computer. IS THAT TRUE. PLEASE HELP.

#2 ·
Check your kill switch.

Check your fuel shut off (make sure it's on).

Verify that you actually have gas in the tank.

And if all else fails, to quote a perfectly CRAPy dude we all know, "you could try charging up the battery and in the meantime pull all 4 plugs and clean them good. If they are fuel fouled you can try "burning" the tips dry with a butane torch or the like. It may not be starting because the plugs are fuel saturated and burning them dry may help. Anyhoo good luck with whatever you chose to do." (Biddy)

#6 ·
DId you try disconnecting the battery? This is sound advise. Your 1800 fuel system is controled by the computer. When you have low voltage or no voltage you should disconnect the battery for a couple minutes so the computer can reset. Make sure the battery is fully charged before you reconnect the battery.

#7 ·
Well guys, bike has 10,500 miles and damn. Started the bike and drove home from work. Went to drive it that evening and noticed the start button was stuck in the "in" position. I popped it out, which it should do on its own and turned key and pushed button and I got "butkis".
Dealer is order the part but it is on back order from Honda. I am taking it in today and leaving the bike with them.
Any thoughts or ideas?
They said it is not a common problem to have the button go bad. Guess I got lucky huh!
Ray

#8 ·
#9 ·
WEll that was interesting......however, bike is already trailered to the dealer and they have it on order, the switch etc.....I am just hoping it is the switch and it didnt burn out the starter. You would think if you pull the switch out and push it in the bike would start so I am hoping this is not the case.
damn.

Thanks for the info, Ray

#10 ·
Whatever you find out...post it. Any information/lesson learned can benefit the many other X'ers out here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.