Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Need some foot rest on those long trips

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  borninusa 
#1 ·
I have never thought about engine guards or cruise pegs for my bike. That is until I took it to Maine last year and sorely needed something to rest of the ole foot on.

I am heading to South Dakota in a couple of months and dont want to be with foot issues.

I like Kuryakyn and am somewhat torn.

From what I can tell..and bare with me for as I said, I have never thought (nor looked at ) guards or pegs...that they have 2 options. The first is the engine guards that have the built in foot rest (kind of expensive) or the much cheaper cruise pegs. I am opting for pegs as I dont want to fork out that much cash for engine guards (and I really dont like the look of them).

My question is...if I purcahse the cruise pegs, do they just mount onto the bike? Do they extend out far enough to make the ride more comfy? Are they easy to install for the non-mechanical guy such as myself?

Thoughts? Other options?

This is what I was looking at:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/942/Cruise-Peg-Mounts

I am kind of waffling a bit. Now I am looking at the Kury 4581 highway bars. They dont seem to obtrusive and I dont mind the look. Thoughts on those?

See less See more
#3 ·
Engine guards are the easiest and possibly one of the most valuable mods/investments you'll put into your bike.

You ARE going to drop it. The engine guards prevent major damage to your engine, radiator, pegs and TANK ($$$) when the bike is merely dropped.

With the X being a "muscle bike" the regular bars look like freaking coat hangers, so get the Cobra Fatties or something similar.

Mounting the bar is easy. Even I did right the first time, but it helps to have someone holding while you bolt them on the frame. Hanging pegs off the bar is just as easy and less strenuous. The issue there is you have to ride, then re-adjust two or three times till you have the right height and angle for you.

The use of Long Horns allows more variability for those with either short or longer than usual legs AND they can be mounted on the frame.

There are other after-market mounts out there as well that mount where the foot peg goes and then extends outward for a more minimalist look.

#7 ·
Hi; I have the cobra fattys on my 1300 with the kuryakn dogleg type footpegs.The bars have paid for themselves at least 3 times now do to a couple fallovers (accidently) and one laydown (Can you say OOOPS):banghead:.Each time not a scratch, dent or break of anything ecept my ego.My bike has saddle bag windsheild etc.The left side peg did get scratched on one part of it and pushed in on the laydown. Just loosened the nut and moved it back into position.Also the bars get scratche on bottom corners each time:but not noticable unless you look for them.And I can and probably will eventually buy a new set of bars.JMHP. Tony:choppersm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.