Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

new owner of 04 VTX 1300-S - pops/Backfires

6K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Shoreguy 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2004 VTX1300-S with 4K miles. Before I took it in to the mechanic is didn't pop or backfire, but it didn't run right. After I got it yesterday, it idles alright but pops and crackels and backfires on deceleration like crazy. I need advice - any idea what happen. Pls help!

Thanks,
Lin :banghead:

#2 ·
#5 ·
Welcome to the Cafe from North Idaho

Might want to re-post this in the 1300 or Urgent Help forum, but my guess is the mechanic messed with your A/F mix and/or your idle adjustment. Might want to ask the mechanic what he did.

#6 ·
Welcome, if it didn't do that before you brought it in I would bring it back and make sure he understands it wasn't popping and backfiring before the shop looked at it. Might be something simple and when you pay to have work done you deserve quality work. Don't know about anyone else, but my money is hard earned. IF he's a stand up guy it shouldn't be a problem. Good luck

#7 ·
Welcome to the Cafe from Texas.

First, check all your vacum hoses leading to and from the carb. Make sure none are pinched or un-hooked.

If that isn't the problem, I would say it sounds like a lean issue. Popping on decel is normally a sympton of the bike being lean. Could also check the plugs for color.

#8 ·
I purchased a 2004 VTX1300-S with 4K miles. Before I took it in to the mechanic is didn't pop or backfire, but it didn't run right. After I got it yesterday, it idles alright but pops and crackels and backfires on deceleration like crazy. I need advice - any idea what happen. Pls help!

Thanks,
Lin :banghead:

First, welcome from Greeley. Does your bike have aftermarket pipes on it? I put Cobra slip-ons on mine, and I get a decel popping all the time.
Also, did you have the work done at Interstate Honda? If so, you could call and ask for Greg, he is the service manager, let him know what you are experiencing and he will have it checked. It does sound tho like they had to adjust the A/F to get it to idle correctly.

#9 ·
Hey Folks.. I just did a coolant change and Now my Idle is higher then normal and after test driving I get the same Pop/backfire.. Im waitin for the Bike to cool down before taking the tank off etc etc.. Bikes never given a Hicup and now It sounds like the 4th of July.. Any thought where to start checkin? I adjusted the A/F SCREW down to lower the idle.. didn't help at all with the Backfire..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.