vtx 1300 c idle adjustment?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vtx 1300 c idle adjustment?

vtx 1300 c idle adjustment?

how many turns out should the idle adjustment screw be? i dont know if my idle is too high or not?

If you are talking about the little black knob under the air breather, just turn it untill it sounds about 800-900 rpms. It should not be set to low(rpm)
    It does not control any fuel mixture. The pilot jet controls the off idle to 1/4 throttle fuel mixture

yes... do it by ears. not to low. you don't want to stall your takeoff in a green light or intersection

hi darryl i have vtx 1300 c idle to low and stumable on take off i just dumped the fuel in tank and put chemtol in it because of water in the tank could low idle cause it to die

Along the same lines, my 05 barely keeps running when cold and then when well warmed up, the idle seems too fast. It does not like the cold weather!

Idle should be 900 (+-100) RPM. I like to keep the idle up to recommended 900 RPM as you don't want the engine to die while making sharp low speed turns. Should you have your bike hard right or left at low speed (walking speed) and engine dies, more than likely, the bike is going try to fall. Higher speed helps with summer cooling also. Make sure that your bike is at operating temperature when you set idle RPM. Wishing you a nice day.

Bassdude404 is offline The guitar, not the fish!
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Quote Originally Posted by papadann View Post
    Along the same lines, my 05 barely keeps running when cold and then when well warmed up, the idle seems too fast. It does not like the cold weather!
    Turn the A/F screw in until lightly seated, then back out to about 2 turns..That'll help the cold low idle speed..These bikes do idle higher when warmed up versus cold startup....Nature of the beast..

Dirtdobber, you say tune to 900 rpm by ear. Whats that sound like...? Is there any other way to tune rpm to 900 +/- 100 other than by ear ( or hookin up a tach). Thanks - Mike

I just put a set of new Bubs on my bike. I am thinking the AF is not set right but not sure.. Getting back fire on the tail pipes when it idles. Any suggestions.. I think I am going to take it in for a tune up since I put those pipes on. I have 3600 miles on it.

I bought my 05 from a guy/bozo/local who had put the bubs on and it tended to die when I stopped. He had put in a jet kit too. I had the dealer adjust it and it was much better. A couple years later, I put in Bub's "sound reducing baffles" to quiet it down a bit. It runs even better. The baffles produce more back pressure, hence a richer mixture...which apparently makes it happy. I think that's how it works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information