Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

vtx 1300 c idle adjustment?

42K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  desert rat 
#1 ·
how many turns out should the idle adjustment screw be? i dont know if my idle is too high or not?

#6 ·
Idle should be 900 (+-100) RPM. I like to keep the idle up to recommended 900 RPM as you don't want the engine to die while making sharp low speed turns. Should you have your bike hard right or left at low speed (walking speed) and engine dies, more than likely, the bike is going try to fall. Higher speed helps with summer cooling also. Make sure that your bike is at operating temperature when you set idle RPM. Wishing you a nice day.

#8 ·
Dirtdobber, you say tune to 900 rpm by ear. Whats that sound like...? Is there any other way to tune rpm to 900 +/- 100 other than by ear ( or hookin up a tach). Thanks - Mike:)

#10 ·
I bought my 05 from a guy/bozo/local who had put the bubs on and it tended to die when I stopped. He had put in a jet kit too. I had the dealer adjust it and it was much better. A couple years later, I put in Bub's "sound reducing baffles" to quiet it down a bit. It runs even better. The baffles produce more back pressure, hence a richer mixture...which apparently makes it happy. I think that's how it works.

#13 ·
A/f

Well if you screw that A/F screw down as far as you can, it should just about kill the engine, at least it did mine.. Your choke is pulled out is it? This adjustment should be when the engine is warm and the choke is shoved all the way in.. I adjusted mine tonite and it runs great.. No more unburnt gas igniting outside the pipes.. Sounds great.. They are really loud, but I like them..
Happy riding and be safe.

#16 ·
We used to put the bikes on the center stand then with the rear tire off the ground we'd read the speedo in top gear with the engine running at idle. I don't know what the speed is per thousand rpm on the X but this method does work. Using on this bike will of course require a lift. Just make sure you get things straped well enough to be safe.

#17 ·
ok i know its been a while since anyone posted to this. I have a 2005 1300r that is stock. I have a hard time getting it to stay running in the colder mornings. my ride to works is about 30-35 miles. good time for the bike to warm up with that being said i have to lower my idle about twice. then when i am heading home after it sitting all day i have to raise it and then lower it as its getting warmer. any help or ideas.

Thanks

#19 · (Edited)
An easy way to cure this is to use a cruise control, that way you can set your idle while it's hot and when it's cold use use the cruise control to hold it at a higher idle while it's warming up. You can get them from $35 up to $300 or so, just depends on what you'd like to have. (I went with the el'cheapo and it works great)

Adjusting the A/F screw as mentioned above will help it run much better while it's warming up, and it will also do away with needing to use the choke/enricher. As a side note, if you have been using the choke a lot you may want to check you're plugs. The choke is a known plug killer so they may be in rough shape which will also cause it to run bad.

#18 ·
#20 ·
I have the same issue with my C starting in the very cold weather. It starts very rough and will sometimes die. You can't use the throttle or cruise control since that immediately kills the engine.

Above the breather there are two knobs, one the idle set (?) and the other has a crimped metal band (?)

I turned the non metal banded in until it set and turned back two full turns out but I think it went in more than two full turns (hard to tell when it only turns about a quarter of the time. Given my aforementioned cold starting problem, how does this make sense and what did I do???

#22 ·
Below the breather right side.
One is the idle adjust and the other is the air box drain tube and should be drained periodical and any oil in it is actually a good sign so if you see oil and moisture in the Borromini of the airbox that tells you that the air box vent tube is not plugged. * A BAD THING? now as far as it running rough when cold it could very possible that the a/f is set too lean from the factory.
Factory sets them at 1 - 5/8. And should be at 2 - 1/2 turns out from a lightly seated.

Donut/Doug

#21 ·
idle adjust

When its a cold start you have to feather the throttle a bit to keep her running. Or set your a/f screw out a bit and that takes care of that. Did mine. Like blackdot said check out that gonzo video for th sound of 900. For USMC1341 fiddling with the adjustment, once you have it set , its set. Yes it sounds fast when your hot but thats the way its suppose t be. For cooling and oil pump purposes. ANd wngd- what do u mean it only turn a quarte of th e time, its a direct link to the throttle on the carb, does it change the idle when you turn it?

#26 ·
LBell
Are you on the base or in North Edwards? I'm in Cal city on the weekends most of the time...not going home this weekend. Willing to give you a hand on you bike if you need it. To adjust the stock air fuel screw you will need a 223 case or 22 case with a flat spot in it (like a D) there is not a slot like a normal screw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.