Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is a Harley really an "upgrade"?

32K views 519 replies 67 participants last post by  Mortikus 
#1 ·
I was perusing the For sale section, noticed someone selling off some accessory items. I read the reason for selling, Because he "Upgraded" to a Harley Davidson. This is something that has bothered me for a long while. I make no secrets about it, I do want a Harley, BUT I definitely don't consider it an upgrade. You hear this from lots of the Harley Snobs, and my local Dealer even said it.:gah: That got me rather upset, and I let them know it's not an Upgrade or down grade, it's just another bike with a different look that I like. My displeasure was noticed by other customers... I haven't gone back since.

I have noticed some others say going to a Harley was an upgrade, please explain to me, how so? Anyone else have an opinion on this topic? No flaming away, you look like fools doing so...

#3 ·
I saw the same ad and started to post on the thread about this same thing. What is it with any MC rider that decides to buy a HD and they say thy "upgraded" to a HD? Is a HD a better motorcycle then a Honda or Suzuki or anyother bike? To me a POS is a POS but a upgrade is a 250cc to a 750 then to a 1100 and so on. You upgrade horse power or style of comfort and while I have not ridden a 2010 or new HD I have riden a lot of HDs and I would consider none of the my a upgrade to my VTX. Some I might consider equal but different but that is about it. I drive Honda cars and a '97 Ford F150 with 60K miles on it but to me replacing it with a NEW hevy 1500 would be a downgrade because I personally don't think the GM is as good a product as the Ford. So I guess what I am saying is people that consider trading in their Metric on a HD to be a upgrade must not really thing their bike is a equal of the HD.

#4 ·
Here we go. Harley vs Honda (or any other bike brand). Basically it comes down to..."To each their own". Buy what you want, ride what you want, and don't worry about what other's think. There are snobs for every brand of every product regardless. My honest thoughts: Who cares. Buy what you want.

#11 ·
Here we go. Harley vs Honda (or any other bike brand). Basically it comes down to..."To each their own". Buy what you want, ride what you want, and don't worry about what other's think. There are snobs for every brand of every product regardless. My honest thoughts: Who cares. Buy what you want.

No, "not again". This is not about one being better then another, it is about preception. A dealer that sell one brand will always think their brand is better hence the "upgrade" connents. But Jeff is talking about a non HD owner replacing their bike with a HD and calling it a upgrade. Personally I don't buy crap or somehting because it is cheaper. I buy it if it is good AND a deal. A $3 harbor freight hammer hammers the same nail as a $100 hammer so why by the more expensive hammer? Well, there are several reasons like it fits my hand better or has a better balance for me or and there is always the "it has a cup holder" excuse. When I was looking for a MC I was looking for a HD because I wanted to chop it up and there are more parts available for them aftermarket. I found the VTX at a great deal and bought it because I have had several Honda MCs over the years and they have all ben excellent and trouble free.

#5 ·
The only "Upgrade" I see in any of my bikes I have now compared to my Hondas are ...I love not having a plasti chrome bike....thats a personal thing though...Harley, Honda, suzuki, Yami, Victory...whatever, ride what ya like....Some people consider a Harley an upgrade, some might consider it a downgrade....either way a bike is a bike, ride what ya like!!!

#6 · (Edited)
I have friends that have Harleys. We rode together on occasion. They never talked bad about my 1800 Neo. Now I bought a Harley 6 months ago, and we still ride together on occasion. Eventually they asked me how I liked the upgrade. I think they were shocked when I replied, "it's not really an upgrade or a downgrade, actually its a downsize, smaller engine, smaller bike. I like it, but it's just a bike". They could tell I hadn't fully drank the kool-aid yet.

However I did just order a really cool jacket. (but I'll still wave.....LOL)

#8 ·
lol...hell, a yami dealer will tell you nice honda, when you gonna upgrade and get a yami. it's just words, why get mad about it? the only bike that you really upgrade to is the one you trade and it's called an upgrade simply to use words. if you trade, you upgrade simply because you traded, not because of the brand youj got. words are just that, words and nothing to get mad over. if you do wish to get mad, get mad over something that matters, not because someone asked you to or said they upgraded...

#13 ·
Yes, I am mainly talking Anythign to HD, because thats where I see it most. I buy most of my parts at a mainly V-star Dealership (they sell Honda ATVS, local full dealer stinks) and they say nice bike, they have never tried to sell me on theirs, but go to the HD/ Bombardier dealer for snowmobile parts, "when You going to upgrade to a Harley" and I've seen it on here a few times as well.

#16 ·
i go to doug's hd in florence and thunder tower in columbia pretty regular and have never been asked when i'm gonna upgrade...not trying to be an ass, but i swear it's only honda and suzuki guys that complain the most about hd, but then again, it's only honda and suzuki i hear most hd guys giving hell to anyway...i still don't get it between the two though, must just be a pissing contest, cause kawi and yami guys rarely bitch about hd and if they do, it's in fun or at least in my area it's that way

#18 ·
I've never owned any bikes or quads that weren't Honda. Mostly because I've always had good luck when it came to their reliability. I told my wife i was finally going to upgrade from my VT600 shadow to something bigger. I started looking for a full dress HD for the highway riding simply because my shadow absolutely sucked on the highway (just not heavy or powerful enough) and I have always loved the look and sound of an ElectraGlide. When I started seeing used dresser HDs with 30K-50K miles on them selling for $20K or more I started to look at new Hondas again thinking I could get a lot more bike for the money I wanted to spend. I was right. My 2008 1800Neo was purchased in November of 2010 as a brand new leftover with only 1 mile on it. Full factory warranty. I paid 10K. I couldn't even touch a comparable HD for twice the money. Had I been able to score that good of a deal on an HD I might have gone that way. Ride what you want. Our riding club (Great Lakes Road Riders) welcomes anyone riding anything with 2 (or 3) wheels. I'd love to be able to say I drive a Ferrari but I'd spend the money on a Vette first. One third the price and all the performance and style! :cheers:

#19 ·
hey steve, i get your point, but at the end of the day the resale on that harley will be like the ferrari, still higher than the honda or the vette...:)

#23 ·
Is a Harley an upgrade (from a VTX)? I guess it really depends on the model.

Typical Harley options:
* Bigger engines
* Fuel Injection
* True dual exhaust
* Comfortable "factory" seats
* Locking factory saddle bags
* Awesome "factory" stereos
* Factory anti-theft systems
* 6 speed transmissions
* Large headlight and running lights
* Fuel gauge
* Electronic cruise control
* Electronic turn signal cancelling...

Just to name a few... I personally consider these upgrades...

#28 ·
this should answer the OP's original question and when put this way (which i hadn't even thought of) then yes, damn straight it's an upgrade! would be the same if swapping to a kawi (which now has all these features) and a yami (which now has theses features). sort of like the fury, how the hell do you make a "custom" factory bike that looks just like the one beside it and came straight off the same "custom" line...

#25 ·
Then I guess putting my Harley faring on will definitely be an upgrade. The main thing with that, I get most of those up grades for just 1 monthly payment of a Harley. That is an upgrade too. I likr to think I am smart or frugal but, I don't think that's it. I think I just want a lot of things and things cost money! why waist cash all in one place when I can blow it in a lot of places somewhere else? I get to pick my stereo (I could put in a factory Harley but why?). It came with a head light (Larger Harley) and a fuel gauge, oil pressure.... I get to pick my flavor.
http://s915.photobucket.com/albums/ac359/pmanbiker/Fairing Installiation/
all for $200 bucks. hummmmm

#26 ·
I am thinking, as I read the replies, that some people are missing the point of the question. The questions was about NON HD riders saying they upgraded to a HD, not about a dealer asking about you upgrading to a HD or even a HD rider asking when you are going to upgrade to a HD. I have seen people here, and one very recently, state that they traded in their VTX and upgraded to a HD. I have not seen one person buy a VTX or other non HD bike and say "well, this will do until I can upgrade to a HD".

So, what Jeff as wondering, as I was also, why do some non Harley riders say that they have "upgraded" to a HD after selling or trading in their non HD bike? Nothing against HDs or any other bike but you don't hear someone say I traded in my VTX and upgraded to a Yamaha unless they went to a larger engine or a full bagger. I just find it odd that some people love their VTX but when they sell it they consider it a ugrade when they buy the HD.

#30 ·
I think its all about peoples perception. How many people have you talked to that say american made cars are junk. They buy nothing but "Toyota" or nothing but "Honda." I try and reason with them, but there is absolutely no getting through. I have a 05 Chevy HD with 118K, only repair is the front passenger hub $174. The wife has a 99 Expedition with over 200K, I have done about $1,300 in repairs. (I don't count maint) I explain this when they are spending $1100 in repairs on the 4 year old Toyota, but they still dont get it.:banghead: Don't misunderstand, I am not bashing Honda or Toyota, I think they are great vehicles. I wouldnt own one but I think they are nice and very reliable.
The metric bikes have only really come into the big "vtwin" seen in the last I dont know 10 - 15 years. Until then it was harley if you wanted that style. So the VTX is not what comes to their mind when thinking of a honda. When I was younger and on a rocket I thought I wanted a Street Glide, but one day I switched rides with a friend and rode his X. I was sold I fell in love and 3 years later sold the rocket and bought an X.
My upgrade will one day be to the Ultra Classic. When I am ready to switch styles, the big touring style. I wouldn't even consider the Wing. (No disrepect to any wing owners) I want the Vtwin, to me a v6 just isn't the same. I know the wing has all of the power ect., but I still want the motorcyle style and the Ultra Classic has it. Still have alot of years to go and many more miles on my X.

#31 ·
i had friends try to talk me into upgrading to a fatboy.. he has one. he let me test ride it.. its all factory.. being taller (6'4") i felt really cramped on it and it made my back start to hurt within 20mi.. i test rode my 1300 and it was night and day difference.. nowhere near as cramped. not at all in the arms.. would like some forward controls.. but 700 bucks:icon_eek: i'm gonna have to wait a bit.. but point being for half the price and twice the comfort the "upgrade" was definitely the X..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.