Question about the power commander chip - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about the power commander chip

The plug options are:
    Bosch 4419
    NGK IFR 5L-11 or BKR 5l-11
    I prefer the Bosch. I tried the NGKs, and they fouled within 3000 miles. I've got about 8000 on the Bosch plugs with no issues.

Holds 3.9 qts of synthetic 10w-40 oil, just pour in 4 and call it good. My personal preference for oil filter is Bosch 3300.

The "map" is the term used to describe the settings in any fuel injection system. It determines how rich or lean the system makes the bike run.

Sounds like you got a great find, and have an awesome wife. The problem that you may run into is that your bike hasn't been ridden, therefore it most likely hasn't had regular maintenance. That's the problem I had with my low mileage 02 model when I bought it. I would suggest a full fluid change, check the shock bushings for wear, remove the rear wheel and lube the drive splines with moly grease, check the brake pads, inspect the wheel bearings, etc. If you're up to the task, I would highly recommend installing progressive fork springs as your first mod and changing the fork oil.

Great how-to write ups for everything I listed above can be found at www.tech.bareasschoppers.com

Hi Fister
    I checked the plugs they were Bosch and were corroded put new ones in ,I was getting a lot of popping at let off so I increased the power commander low speed and cut back a point on the cruising or middle setting ,as I,m not a fast runner left the high alone ,Will do the fluids soon here, The bike I thought sounded crisp afterwards haven't got out on it yet ,also the ride is good but progressive springs and shocks came with it both new ,think it would be a good idea to change or leave well enough alone ,
    as I,m used to an enduro . And thank you lads again for helping me get accustomed , safe ride Doug

If the bike already had progressive springs installed, no need to change them. I would go ahead and change the fork oil though.

pman71 is offline Banned Washington State Riders Group
    Oregon Riders Group
    I am giving you the fork spring replacement thread from BareassChoppers because I want you to be able to take it as far as you are comfortable. You may want to hit a Tech Session if you can find one around your area? http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/susp...ment-vtx-1800/ I would dump the oil by removing the forks and follow this procedure. Then spray a few seconds of brake cleaner down the tubes to flush out grit. Dump, install transmission fluid, pump them some more (cycle them) and dump that fluid out. More brake cleaner, pump, dump and transmission fluid. Repeat until it flows fairly clean and cycles smooth (your call).

A thank you for all the help suggestions and each was spot on ,I,m slowly getting around this scoot ,The power commander,
    I emailed a question on Newyears day ,before I forgot it and thinking maybe the next day I,d get an answer ,they came rite back I was shocked and a second question the instant results , I hope the weather gets a little better as the wax is starting to build up ,lol enjoy thanks again ��

Ok think maybe I,m sorted out now,The suspension is sorted with the progressives still not used as the stock are fine for now . The power commander I still can,t down load so here,s what I,ve done worked strictly off the buttons on a trial and error basis to date some popping back fuel milage 38 checked by filling on the stand and carefully observing to fill touching the neck same station same pump
    Idles good and can be adjusted so now a few more tanks to confirm this as I do make mistakes ,Bike starts slow the way I like it turns over a couple of times to get the oil up starts and idles good after warm it,s a button touch and goes like stink lol.
    I would like a tac ,anyone else tried one ,I know it,s not needed just wanted ,,And the other thing I found out ,
    it,s not a chip! Thanks for the help Doug

Charlie D is offline Senior Member
    Washington State Riders Group
    Oregon Riders Group
    for the popping adjust the low speed pot a little richer.
    Sounds like you don't have the one on there for uploading the programs to.

Thanks Charlie
    Don,t really know to much about the commander programs as They won,t be friendly with my computer,
    So guess I,ll go old school,your opinion would be appreciated! Crank on in lower reves feels like it,s getting to much fuel !
    drop a gear feels rite when reves are up pop back is still evedent but not bad .idles high.
    Lean it out feels rite goes like stink temp normal about 185 f but pops back a lot . Now the other thing I,ve been using 89 octane pure gas ,yesterday got caught and filled with 93 very noticeable difference ,tail pipes are black but no black smoke .
    What octane do you use ? Thanks in advance

In regards to your Power Commander...

FIRST QUESTION: What Power Commander model are you using?

You must determine Power Commander model you have before attempting to program it. You probably have a Power Commander III, but is it the Power Commander III with USB or 3r?

• If it's the Power Commander 3r, then you will use a serial port to connect it to your computer.
    • If it's Power Commander III with USB, they you will use a USB connector.

SECOND QUESTION: Have you been attempting to upload a map to your Power Commander III while it's attached OR detached from the bike?

• If you are trying to upload a map while it's detached, then you will need to use a battery power adapter during programming.
    • If you are upload a map while it's attached to the bike, then your VTX needs to be powered on while the programming the map.

IN MY OPINION, the Power Commander should be your TOP PRIORITY at this time. Don't get me wrong, you've received excellent advice in this thread. The problem is that if your fuel/air ratio settings are off, then you'll experience relatively poor mileage, fouling of the plugs, and increased decel backfiring. It can even damage your engine over time. Since you have been manually tweaking the fuel-air ratio (aka fiddling with the buttons), the previous map has already been altered. It's highly unlikely that you'll be able to determine the correct air-fuel ratio setting based on intuition or engine temperature. It's very complicated. If you don't believe me, I'll link a youtube video on how to create a custom map for the Power Commander.

Once your Power Commander has been loaded with the proper map, you won't need to mess with it again. In other words, DON'T TOUCH THE BUTTONS.

On the other hand, if you are unable to program your Power Commander, then it's almost certainly best to REMOVE it from your bike. If you eventually decide to remove the Power Commander, then your bike's FI computer will be restored to the original factory settings.

Since you have an aftermarket air intake (hypercharger), it is probably best to use the Power Commander with the recommended map based on your setup. There are VTX owners who claim that their bikes run better without the Power Commander.

In regards to gasoline...

I use regular 87 octane gasoline and my 2003 1800c and it runs like a watch. The VTX does not require premium, nor pure gasoline. Nevertheless, there are VTX owners who claim that pure gasoline increases both performance and mileage.

Instead of spending more money on high-test gas, try running some Sea Foam fuel additive through your engine. You can pick this stuff up at almost any automotive store or Wal-mart, then follow the instructions on the can.

Here's what it looks like:

NOTE: Your engine won't run better WHILE running Sea Foam through your system...it'll probably run worse. After a few months of using Sea Foam (one tank a month), then you should notice an improvement.

You can also use Sea Foam as a gas preservative when you can't ride your bike for a prolonged period of time (i.e. winter).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Darwin; 01-13-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Darwin
    thanks forgetting back my commander is the pc111 with USB connector ,The bike was popping back when I got it ,and yes I,ve been playing with the buttons .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information