Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

A sucker born every minute (air intake)

10K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Hiramsaint 
#1 ·
Just before winter I put a Hypercharger on my 1800.
I took it for one ride around the block and it has to go. Its too long and there's no room for my knee.
I also have a power commander and HK3's I would rather not go back to the stock air box. I don't mind it but its just not my thing its a big bulky plastic box. I have been reading and researching air intakes for countless hours and its giving me a migraine.
What I would like is something simple and clean looking like the Arlen ness Big sucker or the K&N version.
The performance should be the same or slightly better than the stock intake. I don't want it to stick out too far and take up leg room. I'm also travelling across the country so I will probably run into some heavy rain at some point. Will any of these drum style air boxes work in heavy rain at all or will it shut me down completely ? I read you can run them naked or with a cover... I would prefer to run it naked but can the cover be attached at short notice for rain ? I also don't want any fancy designs or logos or billet just plain. Is this a lot to ask, what are my options ? Thanks a bunch !

#2 ·
Ok perhaps I should rephrase this since there doesnt seem to be any takers. I have decided to go with the Ness Big Sucker air system. 1800. Before I jump in and get thos thing is there ANYTHING I should know first. I dont want to get this thing then have a bad surprise. What is considered the basic standard model to go with. Where is the best place online to order this. Reuseable filter or replaceable. And how does it compare to stock airbox for performance ? Thanks again!

#3 ·
I had a kuryakyn Mach II intake on for maybe a week. Same thing...no room for my knee as it stuck out so far. I went to a baron big air kit. Much more slim line. Doesn't interfere with my knee at all and it looks good.

As for the rain. Mine came with a little mesh almost like panty hose material that you can throw on quickly if its going to rain.

Live to ride. Ride to live.

#16 ·
Looking to start a debate are you? some will say yes and some will say no.

Reactions: sumdatx
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.