Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Engine vibration of 1800 vs. 1300

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Bassdude404 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 VTX 1300s. I test rode a VTX 1800 c. Why is the 1800 so much smoother a ride than the 1300? I understand the power difference but not the difference in engine vibration. The 1800 feels like much less vibration especially at higher speeds.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks

#2 ·
Do some searches online on reviews of the 1800 and you will find several explanations. Start with dual pin! The 1800 motor is set up like the 1100 Sabre/Spirit motor... Vtwin with smoothness.. Once I had a Sabre it was hard to go to a single pin motor- just soooo smoooth for a Vtwin (the 1800). Others will chime in and/or hook you up with some good links.

#4 ·
Do some searches online on reviews of the 1800 and you will find several explanations. Start with dual pin! The 1800 motor is set up like the 1100 Sabre/Spirit motor... Vtwin with smoothness.. Once I had a Sabre it was hard to go to a single pin motor- just soooo smoooth for a Vtwin (the 1800). Others will chime in and/or hook you up with some good links.
Thanks for the reply's. I did the search and now I understand the difference.

#6 ·
My bro-in-law has a 2000 Shadow Aero 1100 with the single pin motor, which I almost purchased, but after being "spoiled" by the dual pin motor I just couldn't do it- although it was a fantastic deal on a 1500 mile bike. Anyway, my wife and I took the Aero for a ride and she couldn't stand the difference as she was vibrated so much. However, the Aero is certainly NOT the 1300 and I'm sure the vibration dampening is different on the two.

Had we started with the Aero and never ridden the Sabre, she wouldn't have known the difference which is probably true with other people out there.

They (single pin/dual pin) feel different, run different, sound different.. As someone else stated that is why they bought the 1300 in the first place which makes total sense if that is what you seek, and others, like myself, prefer the 1800- but we all LOVE the X- no doubt..

Personally, I got tired of dinking around with the carb to match the pipes- just me- carbs, or a carb on the 1300, aren't that big of a deal but I told myself if I ever bought a new bike I'd go with fuel injection (the 1800).. Now I pray that it holds up and I don't have to dink with the injectors in the future.

Was I any help? Of course not!

#7 ·
I've ridden lots of bikes, and put thousands of miles on a 1976 Goldwing I used to have...That bike was incredibly smooth...I don't really feel alot of vibration with my 1300 though...Maybe if I rode mine and an 1800 back to back, I might notice a difference....The CL350 I rode in high school vibrated so much that it used to make my hands go numb after an hour or so...So compared to that, the 1300 is very smooth...My butt goes numb before my hands do..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.