Question What have you done to your 1300 today? - Page 500

Page 500 of 503 FirstFirst ... 400450490498499500501502 ... LastLast
Results 4,991 to 5,000 of 5024

Thread: What have you done to your 1300 today?

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't managed to get any work done to the bike lately but I did manage a nice little 300 mile round trip on Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanksmjklaser, sumdatx thanked for this post
    mjklaser is online now ~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
    New Hampshire Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gje917 View Post
    Ok, this may get a bit long, but I'll try to keep it as brief as possible. Bought the daymaker kit from Backyard Air Suspension. Great "drop-in" kit to replace regular bulb/headlight. Only drawback, no adjustment screws for aiming headlight, not that one is actually needed. It arrived, and I proceeded to install on bike. I removed the old light assembly and lined everything up. The kit comes with two screws slightly longer and larger than the originals to attach the bracket (ring) to the plastic headlight rim. Upon tightening these screws, the plastic screw holes (pillars) disintegrated. WOW! No problem, I found a replacement on Partzilla (around $20) and got it the next day. Began installation again. Same result. Now I'm really ticked off. The screws were tight enough to hold, but I was worried about road vibration cracking the rest of the pillar and the light falling out. I hate to admit it, but I decided to clump some JB Weld around the pillars and screw to reinforce it. (I didn't unscrew it because I was afraid the plastic may continue to break. Test drove it today, after giving JBW enough time to cure fully, and no problems. Light is bright and with the two new 3600 lumen (each) driving lights, I have plenty of light for the road on low beam. (Driving lights are set up to turn off when on High Beam, but I rarely need High.)

Now for a possible solution to this problem if anyone else buys the kit from Backyard Air Suspension: Don't use the screws supplied with the kit, make a set of studs using machine screws, to mount the light to the rim. You can go to your local hardware store and get the following: 1. JB Weld (original with two individual tubes, not the syringe plain epoxy type, get the on with the metal in it.) 2. a pack of machine screws and nuts. I think the size needed is the #6-32 x 1 1/2" or 2" machine screws, but that is just a starter point of reference. You will want to make sure the screws fit in the holes on the headlight rim without being too large. (Get some washers that will fit these screws as well as a couple of sizes larger as well.) Next step: cut the heads off of two screws and put a nut about halfway down the screw.The nut should rest on the top of the pillar with at least 3/4" to 1" sticking out above the nut/pillar. Next, coat the end you cut off up to the nut with properly mixed JB Weld compound (just enough to make the "stud" stick tight in the plastic pillar. The nut should rest at the top of the pillar ***Make sure the stud is straight in the hole!*** Coat the outside of the pillar with JB Weld to strengthen it further. Allow JB Weld to cure (about 4 hours). When you put the outer metal ring (part of the kit from Backyard) you can lock it in place with a washer and nut. Now place the Daymaker light in the rim, along with the back support ring. You can then use appropriate sized washers and nuts to lock the whole assembly together. This way you can remove/change the light if you ever need to do so without breaking the plastic pillars.

I hope this will help others from having the same problems I had in installing the Backyard Air Solutions Daymaker kit.
    That is pretty long ...great post!

4. Thanksgje917 thanked for this post
    MR VTX is online now There Can Only Be One
    Texas Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mjklaser View Post
    That is pretty long
    Do we even have to type the acronym anymore?

6. ThanksFalcon518, nate6966, mjklaser, gje917, sumdatx thanked for this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

mjklaser is online now ~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
    New Hampshire Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MR VTX View Post
    Do we even have to type the acronym anymore?
    Nope!!

9. Thanksgje917 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, MJK! LOL, Mr VTX!

Just a short addendum to my original post: PLEASE test fit everything before "JB Welding" it together for fit and placement of the various components!
    The #6-32 machine screw can be screwed into the pillar perfectly. You may just need to JB Weld around the pillar to strengthen it. If bits of the pillar are already missing, then the nut can be used to simulate the top of the original pillar height and JB Weld up the threads to the bottom and/or sides of the nut for extra strength.

I sill have the original headlight rim and if I can find some extra time, I may do a "How to" pictorial guide and post it to the forum.

11. Thanksmjklaser thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, MJK! LOL, Mr VTX!

Just a short addendum to my original post: PLEASE test fit everything before "JB Welding" it together for fit and placement of the various components!
    The #6-32 machine screw can be screwed into the pillar perfectly. You may just need to JB Weld around the pillar to strengthen it. If bits of the pillar are already missing, then the nut can be used to simulate the top of the original pillar height and JB Weld up the threads to the bottom and/or sides of the nut for extra strength.

I sill have the original headlight rim and if I can find some extra time, I may do a "How to" pictorial guide and post it to the forum.

ouch. You have way more patience than I do. I've upgraded many vehicles including bikes and if a vendor claims a "direct match" or "fit" and I need to modify, then back it goes. If i have to futz around to get something to fit then I'm not paying a premium to anyone. The price premium is paid so you don't have to manipulate things.

You should call them and ask them to justify what you are having to do. I'd be sure to send them some pics and don't be afraid to ask for 50% credit. For $200 plus $15 shipping I would ask them why you shouldn't just send it back and get the sub $10 plug-and-play LED headlight on Ebay?

13. Thanksgje917, mjklaser, sumdatx thanked for this post
    Hiramsaint is offline Deplorable member Georgia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rode it...and after dinner...ride it some more.

15. Thanksmjklaser, sumdatx thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wellllll, I thought about it. At first I thought the original headlight rim may have been just too old (thinking how plastic will crack with age) as the bike is an '04. When I cracked the second one, it dawned on me that the size of the screws supplied with the kit was perhaps the problem. They were too large and that is what cracked the pillars. (My own fault for not taking the time to double check everything prior to assembly. If the screws had of been #6-32's, I think it would have just screwed right in. Of course, if they had of just included longer versions of the original screws {metric sized, about an M4}, there wouldn't have been a problem at all.) As an afterthought, I figured out the solution I put in the post would be a better way to install it, as once you install the "studs", you would never have to worry about unscrewing, and possibly damaging the pillars ever again. Simply loosening two nuts to swap out the light or reinstall the original equipment.

I plan to contact Backyard Air Suspension and let them know that the screws they provided are too large, and what happened to me. But it's also a case of "look before you leap", and I was so anxious to get it together, that I didn't go through all the paces I normally would to make sure I was doing it right.

17. Thanksbill_rides, mjklaser thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wellllll, I thought about it. At first I thought the original headlight rim may have been just too old (thinking how plastic will crack with age) as the bike is an '04. When I cracked the second one, it dawned on me that the size of the screws supplied with the kit was perhaps the problem. They were too large and that is what cracked the pillars. (My own fault for not taking the time to double check everything prior to assembly. If the screws had of been #6-32's, I think it would have just screwed right in. Of course, if they had of just included longer versions of the original screws {metric sized, about an M4}, there wouldn't have been a problem at all.) As an afterthought, I figured out the solution I put in the post would be a better way to install it, as once you install the "studs", you would never have to worry about unscrewing, and possibly damaging the pillars ever again. Simply loosening two nuts to swap out the light or reinstall the original equipment.

I plan to contact Backyard Air Suspension and let them know that the screws they provided are too large, and what happened to me. But it's also a case of "look before you leap", and I was so anxious to get it together, that I didn't go through all the paces I normally would to make sure I was doing it right.
    it's your call but don't be too hard on yourself. I would share with them what you went through and ask for some credit.

19. Thanksmjklaser, Hiramsaint, sumdatx, gje917 thanked for this post
    Fishingfoolemjak is offline Mental Member Tennessee Riders Group
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hiramsaint View Post
    rode it...and after dinner...ride it some more.
    twss....

21. Thanksnate6966, sumdatx thanked for this post
Page 500 of 503 FirstFirst ... 400450490498499500501502 ... LastLast

Thread Information