Question What have you done to your 1300 today? - Page 473

Page 473 of 536 FirstFirst ... 373423463471472473474475483523 ... LastLast
Results 4,721 to 4,730 of 5351

Thread: What have you done to your 1300 today?

Post Thanks / Like

Got Pipers rear end worked out today. Bags/rack/sissy bar all meshing, what a job.

I had bags and a sissy bar but needed a luggage rack. But the mounting brackets covered up the rear fender bolt which I needed to mount my Tsukayu hard bags. So I bought the needed mounting brackets and a luggage rack/sissy bar/pad off of a guy from FB. However, the pad was wider than the T-bAg I already had from my old Super Glide. So I now had the correct mounting brackets but my sissy bar/pad didn't fit and once my new hard bags were added they stuck out way to far from the rear fender ( in my estimation ). So I ditched the spacers that came with the hard bags ( mounted between the mounting brackets and the bags ) and bought some smaller chrome spacers and mounted them between the rear fender supports and the mounting brackets, ditched the spacers that came with the hard bags and VIOLA, she looks slimmer out back and everything went together better than before. What a chore but happy with the final result.

2. ThanksFishingfoolemjak, wigit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MR VTX is offline There Can Only Be One
    Texas Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully, I'm done with the cooling system issue once and for all. I tried making my own pressure system tester out of my old radiator cap, following a write-up on another car forum. Let's just say I couldn't get it to work, so I re-worded my Google search and found this link here on the Cafe': http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.ph...ressure-Tester So I went and bought a 4' section of 5/16" I.D. rubber transmission fluid line from Advance Auto and a bicycle pump with a gauge from Walmart...total in parts was under $20. I came home and used this to pressurize the system, and I found my leak using soapy water in a small spray bottle to spray around the whole assembly. The leak was happening where the plastic filler neck mates up with metal housing for the thermostat. I thought it was a crack in the plastic filler neck, until I disassembled it and found an o-ring in there that looked pretty worn. I found an assorted pack of o-rings at AutoZone and used one in the pack to replace that worn one. Buttoned it all up again, pressurized the system, sprayed the soapy water all over, and wouldn't you know...another leak.

This time, it was coming from the large cooling hose that comes off of the top of the front cylinder and goes into the metal thermostat housing...it was leaking on the thermostat housing side. Dismantled everything again and inspected the hose, which looked good. Suspected it was the spring-style hose clamp, so I installed a new screw-type hose clamp. Buttoned it all back up, pressurized the system, sprayed the soapy water all over...and thought I had it beat. Nope...another leak!

This time, it was occurring between the two metal halves of the thermostat housing. Dismantled everything and saw there was an o-ring in there, but none in the pack I bought would fit. So I took it out carefully and inspected it for cracks/pinholes and found none. So I reinstalled it and buttoned everything back up just to take a chance that this would fix it. So I'm reinstalling the two bolts that hold the metal halves together, and I'm cranking them down tight...yup...C-R-A-C-K.

So much for that easy fix. The smaller metal housing cracked where I was cranking down. At this point, I called my wife to let her know (and vent). She said, "Why don't you just pull that part off of Marigold's bike until you can order a new one?" I quickly calmed down and realized that was totally doable.

* Side story *

Jim is a good friend of ours, and he and his wife both rode VTXs (his: 1800C; hers: 1300C). They had decided a few years ago to give up riding altogether. Jim is a police officer and Marigold worked from home doing web design and other jobs. Their bikes had been sitting for a long time without being ridden, so Jim asked me if I would clean her carb on her bike to get it running again so they could sell them at the same time. So back in August of 2015, they trailered her bike over and dropped it off. I got the carb cleaned out and got it running smoothly again a few weeks later, and I called Jim to let him know he could come get it any time. The next day, I got a call from him that Marigold was going in for emergency surgery for a ruptured aorta. I was shocked, to say the least. It just happened out of the blue, and she was overall in pretty good health and only in her early 60s. Needless to say, she did not survive, although there was a point in time that the doctors thought she was going to make it through. Soooooo, her bike has been here at our house ever since. I ride it every once in awhile just to keep the juices flowing, and it always reminds me of her when I do this...she was such a vibrant, young lady and she's sorely missed.

So back on track now, I pulled her bike apart to get to the thermostat housing. I took the part off that I needed, and carefully installed it on my bike. Reconnected everything, pressurized the system and soaped it up again.

F-I-N-A-L-L-Y!!!! NO MORE LEAKS!!

So my next task was to empty the reserve tank, that was completely full, just enough to get it down to the lower line. I disconnected the hose on the lower left nipple and removed the bolt holding the reserve tank in place so I could tilt the tank enough to the left to get the coolant to drain down where it needed to be. While inspecting that hose, it was showing its age, so I yanked that hose out completely and replaced it with a section from that 4' hose I was using for my pressure system tester. Got it in place and reconnected both ends, filled the system up above at the filler neck with coolant, and will burp the system tomorrow morning and put the rest of the bike back together so I can get back to work. Had to have my 87 Silverado towed home Wednesday because it wouldn't start. I was at a client's house, and when I left, she wouldn't turn over. Her friend came out and checked the injectors while I was cranking and giving it some gas, and the bottom of the throttle body where the injectors sit was dry...so now I have a fuel delivery issue with the truck that I need to fix. Oh joy!

Friga-rackle-rackle-friga! Time for bed...I'm beat!

5. Thanksmjklaser, Fishingfoolemjak, nate6966, SPARKY5151 thanked for this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Fishingfoolemjak is offline Mental Member Tennessee Riders Group
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you got the bike fixed! Sorry about your friend... and what can you expect from a chevy?.... just kidding, good luck fixing the truck!

8. Thanksmjklaser, MR VTX, SPARKY5151 thanked for this post
    mjklaser is online now ~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
    New Hampshire Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jason, so sorry to hear about your friend Marigold, may she rest in peace. Congrats on finally getting your cooling system fixed! Great perseverance!! And on the Silverado, well... "It's always somethin' "

10. ThanksFishingfoolemjak, MR VTX, SPARKY5151 thanked for this post
    SPARKY5151 is offline Senior Member California Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just goes to show Jason, perseverance pays off and patience is a virtue. .................................................. ............patience! He!!............................I wanna kill something!!!!!!

12. ThanksMR VTX thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by exharleydude View Post

Got Pipers rear end worked out today.
    Looks GREAT!!!

Texas Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by MR VTX; 02-17-2017 at 01:20 PM.

15. Thanksnate6966, mjklaser thanked for this post
    SPARKY5151 is offline Senior Member California Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker6x6 View Post
    Looks GREAT!!!
    Ya, except for that funky round tire on the rear!!!!!!

Texas Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rode 13 miles away and ran into some storms, and I didn't feel like showing up to my client's gym soaking wet, so 13 miles back home and I racked up a whopping 26 miles...but they sure felt good in this 66-degree weather.

18. Thanksnate6966 thanked for this post
Page 473 of 536 FirstFirst ... 373423463471472473474475483523 ... LastLast

Thread Information