Motorcycle tire changer

Thread: Motorcycle tire changer

Motorcycle tire changer

Anybody try the Harbor Freight portable tire changer? Is it worth it and how well does it work? Need to change front and rear tires.

I have the HF Bead breaker and static wheel balancer and a couple long irons from somewhere on the internet. I do all my own tire work, getting ready to install new skins on the F. You will want to order some rim protectors 2. If you have 1 bike to do it will be cheaper to have the dealer do it. I have several bikes and the bead breaker will work on the front tires of my tractors as well.

Bassdude404 is offline The guitar, not the fish!
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    I got one from HF a couple years ago, and the only thing that's good about it is the bead breaker...It has a three jaw clamp system that's supposed to hold the rim in place and doesn't...Tried several different ideas to modify it to make it actually useable, and it's still a P.O.S.....I wasted about $180 on this thing, and only use part of it once in awhile...

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Spokey View Post
    Anybody try the Harbor Freight portable tire changer? Is it worth it and how well does it work? Need to change front and rear tires.
    I got one and did a couple of MC tires with no problems until I tried to do a car tire on my 18" bike rim. We managed to get it half way on and ran out of steam, so I took it to a local MC shop and put it on a simi-auto machine and with help got it on. With regular MC tires it's easy and the clamps worked fine. I drilled holes into my driveway to lock down the changer with concrete bolts to take the force of muscling the tire on and off the rim. As far as taking the old tire off I use the changer to hold the tire while I carefully cut it off with a die grinder.(saves a lot of time and effort since I'm trashing the tire anyway) My buddy holds the tire bead away from the rim till I cut through. I also use nylon rim protectors when using the pry-bars.You have to ask for the motorcycle rim adapter kit that does not come standard with the changer unless advertized.

Thread Information