Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Chrome fork covers

22K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Hiramsaint 
#1 ·
Will the chrome fork covers from an R or S model fit on a C? I can't find any aftermarket covers.

#3 ·
Not Really

Well it can be done but with $$$ and time. The bottom tree is not the same on a C model as the R/S models. Also the fork legs on the R/S models have a nylon rub ring so the the bottom cow bell does not rub a hole in the leg. Your best bet is to find a complete R/S front end in good shape, and switch them out. You could drill your bottom tree and use fork lowers from a 99 and up Harley Touring model. They also have the 41 MM front fork tubes like your bike. The Upper covers may have to be cut. I'm not sure what the lengths are. Hope this helps. GG :D

#4 ·
thundrhd: thanks for the response. Nice covers for the lower case but I'm really looking for the Fat Fork look.

Green Ghost: thanks to you also. I will look into those options, and yeah, it gets expensive. Kewl Metals may have what I what too. I may just do the 6*rake also. Lets see, pay the morgage or .........................:hmm2:

#8 · (Edited)
A little bit of info about the fork covers: I've found out that the differences between the Honda Sabre (VT1100) and the VTX 1300 R/S (any year) fork covers (or 'tins' as some call them) is ONLY the lengths. The fork diameters (top, bottom and lapping points) are the same and the mounting brackets are the same. So, if you have, or can find VTX 1300 upper fork covers and you can find Sabre lower covers, they will mate up. Honda engineering, I luv their mind set.

The Sabre upper fork covers and the lowers are a tad longer in length (about 3/8" to 1/2" each). The Sabre uppers would have to be cut at the top end to make them fit the VTX 1300. Unfortunately, that is the tapered end. So the final diameter at the top end would be a bit larger.

But... if you installed the Kuryakin (sp) chrome top tree cover, maybe, just maybe that cover might make up for the larger diameter of the cut top covers. Somebody with knowledge on the chrome fork tree cover might provide the answer as to how much the tree covers increase the diameter at the top.

The lower Sabre fork covers are also longer, but it just freely laps over the fork case, so a small amount of additional length makes no difference.

Mounting them on the "C" model requires drilling the "C" lower tree to accept the mounting screws. The screws pass thru the holes in the upper fork cover bracket, thru the tree and are secured into the lower fork cover bracket below the tree.

The difference between the lower fork cases of the "C" and the "R/S" models it that the "R/S" models have a groove with a bushing guide just below the fork tube seal to prevent the fork case from contacting the lower fork cover. You will need to glue a large O-ring just below the fork tube seal to do the same function. Or maybe look for some thick tape that can be secured to the top perimeter of the case.

Buying VTX 1300 upper and lower fork covers new would cost a minimum of $270 which includes the misc mounting items.

I found Sabre upper and lower fork covers for $50 (shipped) on the Sabrehood website.

I found upper VTX 1300 fork covers here for $80 + shipping.

Waiting till this winter to have the upper tree and the fork case chromed locally.

End result: Priceless

#10 ·
#11 ·
I was just wondering about the skins shown from J & P Cycles for my VTX 1300C. Are they bolted on as well as secured with double sided tape? What do you do when you need to change the front tire? Reapply more sticky tape after unbolting and pulling off? I am trying to find something to shine the front end up a little!
Thanks! :cheers:

#12 ·
I've been thinking a LOT about fattening up my front forks. I've found this link: Click Here

I haven't called them yet, but plan to. This is one of the last few mods that I have planned. I know that your never really done, but I'd like to hope I can at least slow down a little.;)

#14 ·
You can use the R/S covers with no problems all you have to do is drill and tap the lower tree, the boss is already there just has'nt been tappped yet. the R"s lower leg has a nylon ring around it to keep it from rubbing on the leg itself but you can position the cover so it does'nt rub and for extra protection I wrapped a few layers of electrical tape just below the seals.

View attachment 6244

#20 ·
Ok cool. What do you do about the bottom side of it rubbing on the fork case? Would a set or r/s fork cases be cheap and easy to do? And also can you run these cover with any of the 6 degree trees as that will be one of my next mods. Thanks!

#21 ·
Kewlmetal full length covers on their 45* Pro Street kit. They said they are also able to do them on their 6* trees. Note: Not cheap, but nothing which is chromed billet aluminum usually is. Forks are set at 5" over stock and covers fully cover lower legs when suspension is fully extended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.