RESALE~Values

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RESALE~Values

minihero is offline back in the saddle..again New York Riders Group

RESALE~Values

I recently (approx 3 years now )sell cars for a living. Started w/ MINI ..now onto Jaguars.
    90% of dealers use....Galves book... for trade-ins.

I've done some searching and there seems to be NO Galves book for motorcycles.
    There's....NADA and the long time standard Kelly's blue book..... which are both totally useless in the Car market.

What do dealers use for motorcycles????

Here's a link to the NADA Motorcycle ... page
    http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...8&f=5693&gc=mc

These prices seem extremely high for our... VTX's.
    I paid in NY.... in 07/07.... $6500 for a 1300 VTX R (NEW) plus tax.

The following is quoted as stock bikes....
    Average retail = $6215
    High retail = $8175

Any comments... ???
    I'm shocked to say the least

Peace,
    D

I was in the biz myself for since I was just a kid. From going to the auctions for so many years and just doin it every day, I have other dealers that approach me all the time in the auction block.....what should I pay or what do you think she'll bring. I don't use a book but only what I've recently seen the market bring. Those books are garbage IMO. For example, wholesale book on a Toyota VS Wholesale book on a 500S class Mercedes Benz. The Toyota will bring full wholesale book and in most cases they'll fight the price up over where the Benz will bring $3k to $7k back of KBB. What's the point of having it then, right? I just follow the market. Check ebay, Autotrader, people on this site and make my own book.

i check e bay all the time to see how much a motor is going for, and how many bids, how many bids is the main thing.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by minihero View Post
    I recently (approx 3 years now )sell cars for a living. Started w/ MINI ..now onto Jaguars.
    90% of dealers use....Galves book... for trade-ins.

I've done some searching and there seems to be NO Galves book for motorcycles.
    There's....NADA and the long time standard Kelly's blue book..... which are both totally useless in the Car market.

What do dealers use for motorcycles????

Here's a link to the NADA Motorcycle ... page
    http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...8&f=5693&gc=mc

These prices seem extremely high for our... VTX's.
    I paid in NY.... in 07/07.... $6500 for a 1300 VTX R (NEW) plus tax.

The following is quoted as stock bikes....
    Average retail = $6215
    High retail = $8175

Any comments... ???
    I'm shocked to say the least

Peace,
    D
    If you are buying for resale, use the whole sale or trade in line. Or go 15% off average retail. GG

epiphysis is online now team VTX cafe physician

Ohio Riders Group
    soooooooo..are you saying that, according to the trade books, our bike are holding their value?????? another hrumph to the HD owners (no offense, GG)!

Quote Originally Posted by epiphysis View Post
    soooooooo..are you saying that, according to the trade books, our bike are holding their value?????? another hrumph to the HD owners (no offense, GG)!
    NADA: 2005 HARLEY-DAVIDSON Road/Street XL1200C
    Suggested List: $9,915
    Low Retail: $4735 - High Retail $6230

2005 HONDA Road/Street VTX1300C5
    Suggested List: 9,399
    Low Retail: $5145 - High retail $6765

DO with them what you will, but those are the numbers. The VTX is doing quite well at holding its value - comparatively.

I ran a dealership for 13 years averaging 100-150 cars (new and used) a month and still dabble a bit for some extra cash once in a while. I've never seen anyone use a Galves book..ever. Auction sheets, and a good head on my shoulders. That being said, you can use those books (any of them) for toilet paper. They're based on data supp-lied to the publishers from dealers reporting sales. Hmmmm....wonder if that data is good?

Hmm2 Why is this topic so important?????

Quote Originally Posted by RedWings View Post
    NADA: 2005 HARLEY-DAVIDSON Road/Street XL1200C
    Suggested List: $9,915
    Low Retail: $4735 - High Retail $6230

2005 HONDA Road/Street VTX1300C5
    Suggested List: 9,399
    Low Retail: $5145 - High retail $6765

DO with them what you will, but those are the numbers. The VTX is doing quite well at holding its value - comparatively.
    Interesting, I think that the sportster is maybe not one comparison I would like to make if I was trying to compare models. LOL

I have looked at the resale market myself and have found a glut of lower end models from all manufactures that tend to loose most of their value.

That being said I don't understand the inordinate amount of time we spend comparing our MCs to another manufacturers.

Some thoughts; how many of us change to look of our machines, the rake, the tires, the lights, THE BRANDING, until our bikes no longer look like a "Honda"

Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any of this but I fear we spend too much time defending our purchases and not enough enjoying them for the great bike they are.

Just my .02

I don[t know if I care to change it up too much to not look like a Honda. I have no problem with people knowing I am on a metric bike. I would like to get the word Honda off the seat, which I will eventually do, just because Honda never paid me to advertise thier bike for them. But I love it overall look.

The Honda dealership near me is right next to the HD dealer, both owned by the same well to do attorney. I didn't even walk into the HD shop when I was looking for a bike. My wife kept asking me, saying "its only a few yards away." I explained to her the price would be much more, and I was getting more for my money with any metric. We later went in to the HD dealership, to look for a set of gloves. I was amazed at the cost compared to Honda. It was outrageous. I am so glad I went with Honda.

Just recently a friend of mine walked into the same HD dealership and bought a fatbob for like 20K. that is over twice what I paid for my VTX. And they didn't even offer to deliver it.

As for holding value, the reality is, your overseas manufacturers simply hold thier value better, this is true with Bikes and cars.

It is ironic, that many Harley parts are acutally manufactured overseas themselves. Yet they push them as "american made" and associate them with american toughness. A few of the "big box" stores used to pick up on this patriotism scheme, until 60 min and other news shows started uncovering the truth and exposing that they were selling clothes made by children in 3rd world countries.

Yes boys and girls, the news used to actually exposure the truth and not play the political game (sigh, good times)

Bassdude404 is offline The guitar, not the fish!
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ddannen View Post
    I don't understand the inordinate amount of time we spend comparing our MCs to another manufacturers.

I fear we spend too much time defending our purchases and not enough enjoying them for the great bike they are.

Just my .02
    I couldn't have said it better myself.....

I don't give a rat's ass how my bike holds it's value compared to other makes....I bought it to RIDE IT, not ponder it's worth on the open market!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information