Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Honda trident??

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  SPARKY5151 
#1 ·
Alright gentlemen..... I need some help here... I'm looking at a 1981 Honda CX500 trident (as a trike for my wife to ride), but I can't seem to find any valuations on them. The best my research has found is that a company named trident built roughly 1000 of them, then went out of business. On cx forums that I searched, I find that they seem to be pretty good little trikes, easy to work on and find parts for, and when one comes up for sale they all act like they are interested in buying it.... but no valuation!! The one I'm looking at seems to be in pretty good shape, supposedly runs decent/good and he's asking 2600 for it. Do any of you know if that is a decent deal? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I have no clue to help you. But reading this reminds me of what I think is one of those bikes I looked at, back in the 80's. 500cc 3 cyl and yellow is about all I can remember. That and the guy didn't store it correctly so when we tried to start it, kick only, it only ran for a min and then never again. I went and looked elsewhere since it never ran. But I think it was one of the bikes you are talking about.

OK. I read your post wrong lol sorry I thought you were talking about a triple 500cc bike. Nevermind...nothing to see here...

Reactions: Fishingfoolemjak
#3 · (Edited)
I have a friend who is wheelchair bound who buys and sells older bikes cheap off Craig's List, refurbishes them (usually involves rebuilding carbs, cleaning up brightwork, and what ever else it wrong with the bike. He has bought two trikes, after he bought the first one a second one came up and was in much better shape body and paint wise, but had been partially disassembled by an idiot that the OP had hired to fix it so he got it at a really good price (and it will become his ride when he has finished installing hand controls on it). He told me that the Trident bikes were primarily built for meter reader use although some were bought for other uses. His valuation would be to offer the guy $2000.00 tops provided the paint, bright work and mechanicals are in good shape. Remember, although some parts are still available, you are dealing with a 36 year old bike. Also, remember that this is a fairly light weight bike and not necessarily a long distance cruiser. Most important thing is does the engine / trans run and run well. If it has eng /trans problems that is seriously going to impact value. Hope this helps.

As a side note, in one of the Dirty Harry movies, the bad guys are getting away and Harry commandeers a meter cops trike to chase them. My friend says that bike should be the same one you are looking at. Hey if it's good enough for Dirty Harry how can you go wrong?:cool:

#5 ·
Thanks!! That is a lot of info and help, thank you very much. Here is the link to the bike https://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/5910019984.html. To me it looks like a 1000-1200 bike, it looks a little rough, I didn't know if the rarity was adding value to it....

#4 ·
the CX500 was a good bike... only 2 issues over its life...

Comstar wheels.. the rivets. and the main engine case gasket.. if leaks.. remove engine and split ...
parts are getting difficult to come by.. mainly carburetor parts.

as for the Trike . no information. but if parts are needed .. good luck..
and 1000 pieces.. more like a few hundred.

Price,, there is no price... whatever he will sale it for and whatever you are willing to pay.

#6 ·
A buddy of mine always says something's worth only what someone will pay... I'm pretty cheap, so things usually aren't worth much to me!:cheers:

#10 ·
Thats a great line!

#11 ·
I'm glad you decided to pass on the Trident. It is ugly, old, outdated, and looks uncomfortable. You can do way better with a more modern bike. Heck, even a Honda Silverwing with the two additional "training wheels" would be a better choice.

Reactions: Fishingfoolemjak
#16 ·
Didn't Suzuki have a similar machine at that time. The trike wasn't added at there factory but they did warranty them. I wasn't into trikes at the time so I never looked to see if others, besides HD, also had them. I do remember the Suzuki never got popular.
That's because you looked like a

Cat Mammal Vertebrate Felidae Small to medium-sized cats
(I'll have you know this ain't no Vagina, it's a P***Y):1: :mosh: :doh:

riding one!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.