Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Engine paint

6K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Bassdude404 
#1 ·
a buddy of mine picked up a 2005 1300 that had sat for may years and the paint on the lower part of the engine below the fins (the grey paint) is bubbling and flaking quite a bit.
what paint can be used to refresh those areas Auto part Motorcycle accessories Automotive design Vehicle Rim

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems some 500* paint would work... (spray paint for wood stoves and the like....)

#4 ·
http://www.vhtpaint.com I saw this somewhere else... I've personally used rust oleum paint I've picked up at Lowes, it works good but I've not used it on a motorcycle engine....

Reactions: maddog22
#5 ·
Excuse to black out the engine I think.
Wasn't aware of there being any paint there stock.

#6 ·
VHT paint is used on auto headers/ exhaust manifolds, so would hold up on the areas he needs.

Reactions: Hiramsaint
#20 ·
Paint has held up great so far, haven't had to touch it up yet....This was a huge pain in the ass of a job to do, but well worth it when finished...Aluminum foil is perfect for masking the bike off, as you can bend and squish it around odd shaped parts (carb for example), and into tight spaces you don't want the paint to get on...Several threads on this here on the Cafe, but I did mine slightly different...Sanded the fins with progressively finer sandpaper, removed the upper fake fin sections for easier sanding/painting, and the ones on the engine I wrapped sandpaper around some paint stir sticks to get into the tight areas....Most everyone else tapes off each individual fin with fineline masking tape...This is extremely tedious, and a test of one's patience....As patient and OCD as I am, that was beyond my patience level, so thought of a quicker way...As I was spraying the paint, I had some pieces of old t-shirt ready to go, wrapped around paint stir sticks and can of paint thinner right there by me...Shoot paint on part of the engine, put thinner on the "rag on a stick", and wipe that across the fins, removing the paint from the edges of the fins...Did a little at a time, as the more the paint dries, the harder it is for the thinner to remove it from the fin edges...Had a few spots that I had to touch up with a small modeler's brush (sprayed the engine paint into an old primer can cap, as I was also doing bodywork on my saddlebags at this time)...This was a ton easier than taping off each fin, then pulling all that tape back off, and turned out great!!!...

Bassdude, if you're reading this I'm wondering what the heck that toggle switch is above your left pipe/in front of side cover. Is that a 'secret' kill switch?
That toggle switch is for my blue LED's on the bike...Not obvious and easy to reach from the seat while riding...

#9 ·
Phantom, you definitely do not need to pull the engine to paint it. Countless guys have done this mod over the years using tinfoil and/or tape. This one is still on my list of things to do, and will remain there until I find a heated shop to store the bike for the winter. Another member will have to point you to a how-to thread as I'm not sure where the most detailed one might be. If you do this mod, take pics along the way and post them in a new thread. We loves our pics!

Bassdude, if you're reading this I'm wondering what the heck that toggle switch is above your left pipe/in front of side cover. Is that a 'secret' kill switch?

#11 ·
Phantom, you definitely do not need to pull the engine to paint it. Countless guys have done this mod over the years using tinfoil and/or tape. This one is still on my list of things to do, and will remain there until I find a heated shop to store the bike for the winter. Another member will have to point you to a how-to thread as I'm not sure where the most detailed one might be. If you do this mod, take pics along the way and post them in a new thread. we loves our pics!

It's the ignition that was relocated for the install of the duelies

#10 ·
Reactions: Wigit
#13 ·
I had a toggle switch on my right side cover for the LED air cleaner but I can't say what his is for.:shrug:

#16 ·
Heywhoneedsspacesanyways?

#17 ·
Ilovethisnewgame!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.