Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

C to R Fender Change / Damn Seat Question

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Philscbx 
#1 ·
I have searched and searched and cant seem to find the definitive answer so here it goes.

Ok I own a 2002 C model VTX 1800 I have Fender from a 2003 R with all the extras inner fender, struts and all the bolts and lights its complete, but did not get the seat. I know the R seat mounts different than the C seat at the fender (not sure how much as far as gap or what not) and the C seat is a one piece where the R seat is 2 pieces and bolts to the fender in 3 spots with a seat stay. I have the seat stays.

Talked to Mustang Seats I would like to get a Wide Touring Model for the bike and there technicians recommend that I order a C seat even with the R fender so it will match up to the tank and possible modify the seat to work with the fender and vise versus, I have read on here that if you use a R fender then you should also use a R seat and I wasn't to impressed with the tech he just thought it was dumb to do this of course he might be right. I am pretty sure he was rolling his eyes when I asked the question. and I am to far into this to stop now.

Question 1) Will the R seat mount against the C Tank and still look ok, I do believe there is a bit of difference here but am looking for real world experience i.e. how did it look.

Question 2) I haven't posed this to Mustang but it's an idea since the R seat is 2 pieces if I was to order the drivers seat for a C front half or solo seat and the passenger seat for the R would that work? What say the panel?

Question 3) The easiest is just get a R seat would that be correct?

Question 4) Will a C seat work on the R fender with a little modification if so what and how, has anyone actually done this?

Pictures would be great of any items mentioned above from the real world. If anyone has pictures of there R seat unmounted I would love to see them, to see what the difference in the pans and the way it attaches to the bike both at the fender and the tank that may help me. I am going to order a new seat for the bike so this is not and issue of trying to get my C seat to work I just want to order the right one in the beginning. Thanks for all your guys input in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
The C seat is a 2 piece seat: the Brackets underneath have several nuts that connect the two pieces together.

#3 ·
My initial thought is you need to get the R model seat. I am getting pieces together to change my 1300 C to an R rear fender. The outer fender rails are different where the driver seat attaches: R is straight, C is angled. The passenger seat attaches differently too. The seat is the most expensive part to change out. I decided early on to just get everything together correctly and not try to do any "work-arounds". I know the 1300 and 1800 share the same rear fender. Not sure how much difference there is where the seat butts to the tank. But if all 1800's share the same tank, an R seat for an 1800 should mate up ok. A quick check of www.ronayers.com micro-fiche would confirm via part number of the tank. Thats where I've been getting a few parts to flesh out whats needed for my rear fender -- it was missing quite a few things. Not a lot of help probably, but hopefully some others will chime in.
:patriot:

#4 ·
I would say get the R fender on and ready to go and get a local guy with a R to come over and see if his seat fits. The last thing you want to do is spend that kind of $$ on a seat and it not fit and have to spend more $$ to ship it back. Even if it is just a guy you flag down in town on the way to work, most X'ers are willing to lend a hand.

#5 ·
Without even looking further or seeing it done -
I'd Go R setup the whole way - it's 90% there vs the other makeover nonsense.

If the front of seat is slightly off meeting the tank, but still hooks in -
the smallest problem to alter is the cushion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.