Filing and polishing engine fins:

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Filing and polishing engine fins:

Big-X is offline Cafe Founder & VTX lover
    South Carolina Riders Group

North Carolina Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Filing and polishing engine fins:

Here is how I changed my drab boring silver engine to a sweet looking black and chrome one.

First, plan on spending some time on this project, maybe 15-30 hours. I have read about people doing it in 2 hours...I have no idea how anyone could do this job in 2 hours, I spent around 20 myself.

You will need:

- Scuff pad
    - Engine paint. I used VHT 500 degree paint, remember if you use 1500 degree paint the ending need to be ran shortly after so plan accordingly.
    - Masking tape (painters tape)
    - 2 hand files
    -Sandpaper (220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000) is what I used. I had the 3M polishing kit, I used that and a sanding block to do most of the sanding.
    - Dremel 520 Polishing Wheel (love it!)
    - Dremel Finishing Abrasive Buffs (great for the corners ner the plugs)
    - Pinstripe tape (if you choose to use it)
    - Vasoline (if you choose to use it)

1) Remove as much of the chrome, covers, pipes, switch etc. The more you leave on the more you have to work around. Tape up any chrome near where you will be working, I doubled taped just incase the file slipped and struck the chrome. I also place cloth in both exhaust ports and covered with tape to preven any shaving from entering the engine.

2) Use the scuff pad to scuff the silver paint as much as possible. This does take a while but do it. I took a piece and folded it over a ruler and ran that between the fins.

3) Clean engine off. Wipe the entire engine down with a good prep cleaner and blow off everythingwhen done. Just make sure you get all the cleaner off the engine.

4) Now the fun starts! Get the hand file, a six pack or two and start filing the edges off the fins. Try and file across a few fins at a time when possible to get the even.

5) After all the fins are filed flat and to your liking time to start sanding. I started with a dry 220 paper, after the 220 all other sanding was done wet and I used WD40 and the wetting agent. This again takes a ton of time.

*Safety note - when you had the 6 pack or two stop sanding/filing and go tape up something...lol

6) Once all the fins are to your liking start cleaning the engine again, vacuum all the shavings off, blow out all the crackes, and just make sure it's clean!!

7) Now you must make a choice. Time to paint, there are several different ways to do this and here are the choices that I know of:

• Use vasoline and a Q-Tip and cover the fin edges and bolt heads with vasoline prior to painting. After painting wipe the vasoline off to expose your fins.
    • Get small auto pinstripe take and carefully cover the fin edges with it prior to paining, pain, then remove the tape.
    • Paint over everything, after painting then go back and sand the paint off the fins, repolish as needed.

I did the third, it still was a PITA because I allowed the paint to dry...got busy and came back a few days later. I wish I had started sanding a few hours after painting.

8) Complete taping off everything you can possibly see. Remember there are gaps here and there, make sure you have them all covered.

9) Start painting, keep the can moving, and apply several coats.

Depending on the method you choose in #7 proceed accordingly. I finished mine off with Never-Dull and was done. While I did not use the vasoline on the bolt heads I didn't on the fins.

Here is the finished photo:

Hope this help, I maye have missed something if so sorry...have fun!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    VERY NICE WORK!!! I've been considering painting my mill deep red to match my tank and fenders and then following your leads on the fins. Well done.

Post Thanks / Like
    great job, This might become a winter project for me, if we don't get any snow. again, nice job and thanx for all the tips

5. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    great job. how do you remove the bracket that holds the air filter box on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure I understand what your asking? See if this photo helps:

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking paint job! When I read your procedure, it sounded like something I may want to try - my bike is silver and I thought the engine would look good with black and chrome...er...billet!

Gotta question, though, will the paint cause the engine to overheat? Read an article where someone painted an engine and is experiencing over heating. It was not a Honda.

Thx!

Monk

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking motor! I can see why it took you twenty hours to complete.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I have had no real changes in my engine temp...and I do have a engine temp gauge attached before and after the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Very cool can you e mail these in instructions to me so i dont loose them i would be realy greatfull i want to do this to my 1800s. Do you know were to get colored high temp paint i have an 02 in the pearl candy orange
    and i would love to do this. [email protected] Thanks

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the safety note.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information