Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Civil war trip- out of the sandhills of nc spring 2017

4K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  PaXman11 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. So here is what im wanting to do. About 6 years ago i did a 750 mile 5 day long trip to my favorite CIVIL war stops going north out of NC.

I was wanting to either do one of 2 things, a return trip, or a trip to the SHILOH Battlefield in Tennessee..

if you are interested in joining up, for all or part of the trip let me know. If i get a lot of interest in one direction i will work on the details and make the trip that would garner the most interest.

I am a historian, and i absolutely love to talk history and see interested famous things, and not so famous but no less interesting things. I made the trip alone last year, stayed at cheap motels and stayed off the beaten path for the most part.

basically a trip up east would mean places like Richmond, Manesses, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Sharpsburg, Gettysburg, Hapers ferry. With a return trip down the sky line drive.

A trip out west to Shiloh would require me to do some research as to what i would want to see along the way.

looking to do it around my spring break time, second to last week in April.

let me know if anyone is interested in all or part.

See less See more
#2 ·
I might could fall in on the west bound trip....

#4 ·
Yup!...

#5 ·
Just wondering... have you ever ridden through these mountains in April? We get frost into June around here...

#8 ·
Oh yes. Very cool. I'm a Detroiter I can handle it. I ride in just about anything. Just got to bundle up. But yeah. Last time I went was earlier The drizzle turned to snow as I was visiting the stone wall at Fredericksburg.

Good stuff.

#6 ·
Driving through Richmond VA on the first weekend in June will put you in Hollywood Cemetery where they honor President Jefferson Finnis Davis's Birthday. Just a few miles outside the city of Richmond, you can visit Cold Harbor Yellow Tavern, Battle of the Wilderness, Guinea Station, Chancellorsville, Sunken Road at Fredericksburg. Come east to Hampton Roads, where 2nd Lt RE Lee help design and build Ft Monroe. Visit the casemate where the President was held captive a total of two years @ Ft Monroe. See where the CSS Virginia and USS Monitor fought. off Bethel Road at Langley AFB Base Housing are markers on the Battle Of Big Bethel. NC Private Wyatt, the 1st Confederate killed there, marker present. Buried in Hollywood Cemetery Richmond. Newport News VA is the Mariner's Museum. Many artifacts of the Monitor are being restored. Virginia has a tourist map concerning War For Southern Independence sites. Also, look at iTunes U on the internet. There are 13 FREE Videos with the subject Virginia in the CIvil War. https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/civil-war-in-virginia-series/id387898608?mt=10 Petersburg VA at Blanford Cemetery and nearby Battle of the Crater tour can be found. Norfolk Naval Yard's visitor center in Portsmouth VA still has Dry Dock #1 where the USS Merrimac became the CSS Virginia. Newport News Park Camping Area still has the earthworks of Confederate Artillery. The Infantry earthworks are under water. Smithfield VA has Ft Boykins and Ft Hugger. Just east of Richmond is the Berkley 100 Plantation. That is where the REAL FIRST THANKSGIVING was held 19 months before the Pilgrims at Plymouth MA. Also in 1862. TAPS bugle call was also written there. Historic triangle included Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg and the Battle of Yorktown all along the Colonial Parkway. Most of the earthworks at Yorktown are not from the Revolutionary War but Confederate Earthworks. Just across the Coleman Bridge over the York River is a fort that served the Revolution, 1812 and War For Southern Independence.Battle of Williamsburg was at Read Out 11 in someone's backyard but Read Out 12 & 13 are there. On Enterprise Drive in Newport News has Ft Mulberry, the southern flank of the Williamsburg Line.

Yes, I am a Life Member of National & Virginia SCV. Mec Cav member of The Army Of Northern Virginia. Bugler.

#7 ·
Very cool! Over the past 20 years I think I have seen almost everything you just mentioned. Some have been longer than others. Been to the Hollywood cemetery several times. Very cool stuff. We should get together.

#9 ·
I would be more concerned about ice on the roads crossing the mountains in blind corners and north face roads.... people underestimate these mountains all the time... I've helped scrape up many of them.

#10 ·
I would be more concerned about ice on the roads crossing the mountains in blind corners and north face roads.... people underestimate these mountains all the time... I've helped scrape up many of them.[/QUOTE

yeah no doubt i have no desire to mess with ice...

ha..

i wont be riding through any icy mountains... so you are saying maybe a trip down to florida instead? :)

#11 ·
If April is your only timeframe, I would stay east or south.... or plan on crossing north GA to bypass the mountains... if you don't know how the roads work here or don't know what to look for then these roads are very dangerous...

#13 ·
Next Wed. on American History Channel is a 6-pt. 'history' of the Civil War, in case anyone wants a synopsis.

#14 ·
Already set up to record!

Reactions: PaXman11
#16 ·
I just found this thread. How many days are you talking about and what days are they? I might be able to swing it If i can schedule it just right. That would be a very interesting ride and i want to do a ride next year. Hopefully it will work out on my end

Sent from 'The Phone'

#17 ·
You coming to the "West by GOD Va." ride in July? Probably 2nd weekend.

Reactions: Fishingfoolemjak
#21 ·
If you're riding west in/around Charlotte I'm always up for a day trip. As for going North, the VTX ECG is in Fredericksburg every Summer. Dates unknown @ this time.

#23 ·
#32 ·
The series has been completed, 6 episodes. Just started watching them. Interesting they have condensed the entire conflict into 6 major battles. Manassas, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Nashville, and Petersburg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.