Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

9th (I think) Annual Central Ohio Tech day

23K views 387 replies 31 participants last post by  RJ64 
#1 ·
Howdy everyone, it is that time of year again, and sorry for the delay Steve

The date will be May 26th and 27th.

Friday we will be meeting for dinner, @ The Son of Thurmans ( http://sonofthurman.com/ ) @ 6:00 (this will be the same regardless of weekend)

Saturday we will be starting at 9AM! We'll call it quits when we're done.

Dinner on Saturdays in the past have been a toss up, we can either play this by ear or I was thinking about having some BBQ catered in. I am open to thoughts on this.

Sunday, we will feed anyone who wants to eat, before you all head your own ways.

Gastin's House:
9781 Harriott Rd
Marysville, 43040
740-833-5707 if you get lost

This will be an empty garage, that should comfortably hold 8 bikes (being worked on) with at least Three workbenchs. You are free to work on bikes in the driveway but it is gravel so would not recommend. I have a jack and stand and my tools will be available. Others have offered to bring tools as requested, so request if you need something specific.

We can arrange parts or special tool drop offs in advance, too. Worst case, NAPA, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, WalMart and a Honda Stealership are all within a couple miles!

All bikes and enthusiasts are welcome. Beverages all day with lunch being served lunch being served around noon. If you feel like making some Gobs to bring, feel free.

If you're coming from a bit further and want to show up Friday night, we can figure out a place to crash if you let me know in advance. If you want to book a hotel room PM me and I can point you in the correct direction.

(Likely)To be done:
VTX1300 steering bearings
Carb tuning
General maintenance checks
Valves (If you want to do them bike needs to be COLD, sit over night, so no ridding in)
And more! This list will grow as people ask.

Lastly, if you want your bike worked on, that is fine, but you are accepting all responsibility for you machine. If something goes wrong we will help, but do not blame someone else for it.

I will update this post as people commit and/or plans change.

See less See more
#2 ·
HEY, Gastin! Great to hear from you again! The W. Pa. boiz will be back again. I'll bring the GOBS! Don't know just yet what, if anything, I'll need done at that time. Either week is OK by me, although the first one would be my choice rather than the Memorial Day weekend. Traffic on slabs is worse.

#3 ·
Please forgive this OLD MANS' brain.. what Month was/is it again.. :)

Good to see you have returned to the Mad House Gastin.
when you get this old.. and been on vacation since November 01-2016.... days,weeks,months get a little foggy.
:),:choppersm:choppersm:choppersm:choppersm:choppersm,, Not saying I will make it.. but the scale is leaning on the "YES" side.;)

#6 ·
Mylilpony and I will be in NC for the months of May and June. We would definitely NOT be able to make it to a Tech Session on May 26-27. It is unlikely but possible that we could make it for May 12-13. In other words, best not to plan it based on our schedules.

#11 ·
Where are you folks moving to? Good luck. BTW. for all attending, don't forget the side trips to "Iron Pony" MC Superstore in Westerville, Oh. I've got a couple hun stashed away just to spend there!

#15 ·
You are the Thurmanator Champ. We've seen the pix to prove it. Maybe some new young gunslinger will challenge the "King".

#18 ·
Either weekend is good for me.
Memorial day weekend is normal and probably what most expected. I know last year some had other plans that weekend though.
No work for me just visiting and I expect the usual stormy downpour on the way home. It's tradition now.

#21 ·
Ironmk ,If your coming from Louisville you will be coming Thru Cambridge, I can ride over with u. Going to probably stop in Zanesville and grab River13 on the way. Plenty of time to plan tho. River13 I will need whatever tools needed to do stem/ steering bearing. Sounds like a pretty common job being done at these tech sessions, so I'm sure what is needed will be there? I was wondering if there is anything else I need to bring other than bearing, or if there is another component that might as well be replaced when doing stem bearing? This is all new to me, so I am relying on you guys for advice. Been great reading all the info that this forum has .

#111 ·
Let me know what you guys plan to do. I live just south of I-70 near Pickerington, and I (and maybe LeftyBiker) can meet up with you somewhere along the way.

#22 ·
Some of us from other areas will be coming through Cambridge, but doubt if Mike is. His most direct rte. is 30 W. to I 71 to Delaware & Rte. 42 to Gastin's.

#29 ·
Rick and I will be going through likely around Noon Friday. We stay at a friend's, Ron, in Reynoldsburg. Baker 6x6 has a brother in Cambridge, also named Ron. We've met them there, before, but IDK if they are coming or not. The Friday nt. gathering @ Son of Thurman's in Delaware is worth the trip.

#26 ·
You can work with the admins to get your old login back. Happened to lot of people.

#31 ·
On Friday, We will likely stop for fuel @ Cambridge, 1 exit past I-77. 120 mi. from last stop in New Stanton Pa. After dropping our bags in Reynoldsburg, if like last year, we will ride to Iron Pony superstore for an hr. or so, then head to Son of Thurman's for 6 PM dinner meet.

#34 ·
We will be staying near Hendersonville but I'm not sure where that would fit in with your route. I think we would take I26 north until it ends and then back roads to Pikesville, KT, and then US23 to Columbus. I think this is doable in a day (8 hrs, 450 miles). We could try a different route if it didn't add too much time/distance. Or we could plan on a two day ride up.

#40 ·
Not confirmed by Gastin yet.

#41 ·
The date has been set, it was added to the main post, it will be May 26th and 27th. As far as camping at my place that is always open. If anyone would like us to make a beer run for you let me know. I will have it on ice when you get here, you can pay me for it when you get here.

#47 ·
Oops. Forgot you bought a bigger hammer.

#52 ·
I have seen some posts about folks wanting to replace their 1300 bearings, and also have seen that Jim (Vinish) will not be coming this year. That concerns me a little, as Jim is the unquestioned champion of bearing replacement. Will anyone else be in attendance that would be comfortable assisting with the bearing replacement?

For me, with it being a holiday weekend, I am unsure if I will be able to make it.

#53 ·
There are lots of folks with the knowledge. Just make sure that someone will have the castle socket. That is the key missing part. The other specialized tools can be purchased for $20 at Lowes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.