Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Kudos to J & P Cycles

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  RETURN BIKER 
#1 ·
Okay, full disclosure here: I am NOT a wrencher.

However, it became apparent that my rear brakes needed new pads. After checking around the CAFE, and watching a couple of YouTube videos, I decided to give it a try. Ordered rear pads from J & P Cycles (after double checking the fitment), and waited for them to show up.

They did, only a few days after ordering, and I put aside to install today.

Bag came off, finally got the pin loosened, removed the pads, and used brake cleaner to clean up the area. Then, looked at the new pads. Uh-oh, they appeared to be too big. Tried to see if I was installing them wrong, but nope, wouldn't fit. :banghead:

Back to the computer, and the J & P website showed they should fit. Then, I started a chat session with Daniel J at J & P Cycles.:1:

After a quick online discussion, it seems that the site had the fitment incorrect, and Daniel J said to give him a minute to see what to do about an exchange or refund. This was not good. I'm commuting on my bike now, and need it.

He said he understood, and that he would send a new set out immediately, after double checking that they would fit my ride. He also asked how my front brakes were, which truth be told, need replacing, also.

After asking him how to send the old ones back, he said to keep them, as they will fit on the front. After checking, this appears to be correct.

So, in sum:

Parts ordered came fairly swiftly.
After finding out that their computer was wrong, new parts on the way with no muss, no fuss.
Old parts kept for front brake.

Kudos to J & P for recognizing a problem, and then going the extra distance to correct their issue. This is what customer service is all about. :mosh:

Vaughn :choppersm
[
/SIZE]

See less See more
#3 ·
So you ordered front pads not rear pads?

Good that you got it sorted out. :)

#5 ·
I bought a lot of stuff from JP early on. They have pissed me off and I doubt I will ever order from them again. They post a lot of items for sale which are out of stock and can take weeks to arrive. If the buyer actually knew this at the time they were ordering, that would be one thing, but you dont find out until you get the emailed receipt.

I really hate that.

#7 ·
Well, now. Decided to go ahead and check out the front pads. They came right out, no problem. Compared them to the new pads. Looks like a perfect match. However, they are perfectly good, hardly any wear on them at all. So, I'll just hold onto them until I need them in the future.

Vaughn

#8 ·
Nothing wrong with having backup pads. I have a set of rear pads that I bought and don't need.
I thought I needed them but was looking at the pads at bad angle. Pulled, cleaned, reinstalled.

Just remember that you have the extra set and don't order more. :)

#9 ·
Alrighty, then. Replacement pads arrived in the mail yesterday (Wednesday), and I installed them in the evening. They seemed to go in without a problem and I tested with just riding up and down the street. I'll take the bike out later today for a quick ride after work.

Many thanks to all of you over the years that showed it was possible for even novices to work on the VTX. And, especially to those who took the time to do write ups and comment in threads.

Vaughn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.