Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Starter

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Hiramsaint 
#1 ·
I have been having an issue on my 1800 that my starter keeps engaging after the bike is started. I have replaced the starter solenoid as well and no luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Clean the starter switch

Reactions: PaXman11 and 22600
#4 ·
I'm not guaranteeing it will fix your issue.
However, the starter button (black spring loaded button) on your right hand controls needs to be cleaned and lubed with dielectric grease every other year or so, just to maintain reliability. It's free, takes 15 minutes, and cures 90% of starter/headlight/battery issues.

#7 ·
Charge the battery, not with a battery maintainer but with an actual battery charger for ~ 6 hours, take the battery out and to an auto parts store like Pep Boys or Auto Zone, most will test battery for free (make sure they use the actual 100 amp car tester and not the 20 amp motorcycle tester). If battery reads good, reinstall it and be sure to tighten terminals with a socket wrench or open end / box wrench but not a screwdriver as you can't get it tight enough and it will vibrate loose. If it reads bad then replace with a good quality battery and not a cheepy. Many on here go with the Yuasa battery which is the one Honda put in them from the factory and many have reported 8 to 12 years of service if properly maintained.

#12 ·
Does the part in all caps mean you're yelling? Dang, Chuck is it pill time again? Just because you friggin' talk about something once, no matter how long ago, doesn't mean it can't get talked about again. If you're so friggin' tired of repetitive question then just stop answering them. It ain't friggin' rocket science, man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.