AngeiB71

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AngeiB71

Post Thanks / Like

AngeiB71

Hello, I am a owner of 2008 Honda VTX 1800 T, Mother and grandmother. Would like to discuss mechanical and or electrical issue that just started today.

2. ThanksPaXman11 thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Café from east central Indiana! You will get quick responses here. Might I ask what is your issue? Oh, and, that's "Abby" as in short for my last name.lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Sooo, I have a trike conversion kit on my bike due to back surgery and fibromyalgia. I went to ride to work this evening and my battery was dead. Now, I just changed the oil last weekend and took her for a spin. I tried using an older charger but the charger kept flipping off, its a really old charger. I tried my portable hand held booster that didn't work from not being charged. I then tried my bigger booster, the bike started without the key and switch on with booster on battery and of course died but would not start with booster off, key and switch on, I wasn't getting anything then. I was rushing for work guys. so, does anyone have an idea on this? I should have checked her last night but I work late. Thanx.

6. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of older battery chargers (one of mine that I bought back in the 70's) has a reverse polarity automatic reset breaker that opens up the charge circuit to keep from frying the charger, it will also do this when hooked up to a direct short circuit. After the device cools off the circuit will close again.

As far as the bike starting with key and switch off, I don't understand that it should not do that! I am wondering if maybe your starter relay contact are welded and what happened was the starter motor turned the engine over until you removed the booster but the engine never actually started. Interesting. I am guessing that your battery is totally dead, maybe from the contacts being welded. We will probably need more information as we go forward. If you can think of anything that might give us a hint or perhaps we will have to direct you to do a few troubleshooting things to get a handle on this.
    Last edited by SPARKY5151; 03-29-2019 at 07:21 PM.

8. ThanksPaXman11, Abby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from topeka ks

Sent from my S48c using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AngieB71 View Post
    Hello, I am a owner of 2008 Honda VTX 1800 T, Mother and grandmother. Would like to discuss mechanical and or electrical issue that just started today.
    I guess we're on Angie's list now!

Welcome from Colorado.

11. ThanksHiramsaint, SPARKY5151, Abby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It actually did start with the key and switch off till I took the booster off and I realized the they were off, when I removed the booster, the bike shut off and would not start at all, like battery was completely dead, no power at all, but hooked the booster back up, again it started with key and switch off. not sure at all. I was frazzled enough rushing for work but you are correct on old charger, was my dads, was prob made way back in the 70's. I hadn't ridden a good distance in a while but did ride her last weekend after changing the oil. I did not charge her during the week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from Minnesota. The collective knowledge on the Cafe will blow your mind! No better place to be with your X. Except on the road of course.

14. ThanksSPARKY5151 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, you might edit your profile/ settings to show us where you are located so we can help you with issues like this, direct you to upcoming tech sessions to get work done for free, or just to meet/ greet like minded folks. I'm in agreement that your battery was probably your first FUBAR. A weak battery can show 12 V but a bad cell or 2, and this will cause the contacts to weld themselves together eventually. These bikes do require periodic maintenance like cleaning the starter button slide contacts, keeping the battery on a tender when not riding. Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies.

16. ThanksSPARKY5151, Abby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SPARKY5151 View Post
    A lot of older battery chargers (one of mine that I bought back in the 70's) has a reverse polarity automatic reset breaker that opens up the charge circuit to keep from frying the charger, it will also do this when hooked up to a direct short circuit. After the device cools off the circuit will close again.

As far as the bike starting with key and switch off, I don't understand that it should not do that! I am wondering if maybe your starter relay contact are welded and what happened was the starter motor turned the engine over until you removed the booster but the engine never actually started. Interesting. I am guessing that your battery is totally dead, maybe from the contacts being welded. We will probably need more information as we go forward. If you can think of anything that might give us a hint or perhaps we will have to direct you to do a few troubleshooting things to get a handle on this.
    Welcome from Tennessee and I too agree with contacts on starting solenoid welded. This needs to be corrected and see how things go. Wishing you well!

18. ThanksPaXman11 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information