Thoughts from the experts on spark plugs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts from the experts on spark plugs?

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts from the experts on spark plugs?

This forum is awesome...

Changed the plugs today and thought I'd get the opinions from the experts. I'm thinking a bit rich?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanksmjklaser thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

mjklaser is online now ~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
    New Hampshire Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep.....Adjust your f/a mixture & no choke.

6. Thanksmjklaser thanked for this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

SPARKY5151 is offline Senior Member
    California Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually they look better than I expected considering that the PO blocked about 50 % of the inlet snorkel of the air box. You could have cleaned those plugs and put them back in and they would have been just fine. How many miles does the bike have on the odometer? The factory plugs that come with the X are good for about 100,000 miles all things considered. Also give us a little info about your ride, most of us include this info in the header along with an Avatar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SPARKY5151 View Post
    Actually they look better than I expected considering that the PO blocked about 50 % of the inlet snorkel of the air box. You could have cleaned those plugs and put them back in and they would have been just fine. How many miles does the bike have on the odometer? The factory plugs that come with the X are good for about 100,000 miles all things considered. Also give us a little info about your ride, most of us include this info in the header along with an Avatar.
    Isn't it only the 1800's that come with the 100k plugs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, plugs all changed and airbox unplugged! I haven't figured out the sig details, but it's a 2007 model with 17,5K miles on the clock. I believe I'm the 3rd owner, but who knows.

Bike's in good condition and ran well (before I started my tinkering the last couple of weeks - ask me again tomorrow how it runs, as I only put it back together tonight after installing apes, extending lines and cables, removing pair valve, tuning a/f screw, and changing plugs etc. ). Haven't started it yet, as kids and neighbours are sleeping.

I hope it still runs...

11. Thanksmjklaser, jbrittjr, SPARKY5151 thanked for this post
    SPARKY5151 is offline Senior Member
    California Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't make any changes to the carb until you ride it for a while and check the plugs again. Given that 50% of the intake area was closed off and is now opened back up you are probably going to find that the too rich condition is now gone and in fact you may find that you are now too lean.

13. Thanksmjklaser, PaXman11 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the bike was operated at lower power prior to shutting down and pulling plugs. They would probably would look lot better if you was riding at 60-70 MPH, pulled the clutch in and pulled off to a safe stop. Allow engine to cool off some then pull your plugs and read them. They look to me as they were operated at reduced load prior to removing. I like to read my plugs at operating conditions.

15. Thanksmjklaser, SPARKY5151 thanked for this post
    mjklaser is online now ~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
    New Hampshire Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mooneydriver View Post
    Maybe the bike was operated at lower power prior to shutting down and pulling plugs. They would probably would look lot better if you was riding at 60-70 MPH, pulled the clutch in and pulled off to a safe stop. Allow engine to cool off some then pull your plugs and read them. They look to me as they were operated at reduced load prior to removing. I like to read my plugs at operating conditions.
    Plug chop!

17. ThanksSPARKY5151 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't make any changes to the carb until you ride it for a while and check the plugs again. Given that 50% of the intake area was closed off and is now opened back up you are probably going to find that the too rich condition is now gone and in fact you may find that you are now too lean.
    I had an interesting thing happen today - started the bike (using the enrichener), made it to the end of the driveway, where it died and refused to start again.

After much struggle, got it fired up again. I think it's running lean... Plugs look very white.

The A/F screw is out 2,5 turns, with Cobra pipes and K&N filter on stock box. No idea if previous owner did anything to the carb though (it's not the stock A/F screw anymore...).

Should I turn the A/F screw a bit richer? Or get into the carb for a prod? Not sure where to go now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information