05 vtx 1300S flange bearing

Thread: 05 vtx 1300S flange bearing

Post Thanks / Like

05 vtx 1300S flange bearing

I pulled the rear tire today to have new tires mounted and while I was looking things over I checked the flange bearing on the rear wheel.I can use my finger to turn the bearing and it makes a roaring like sound but is smooth to rotate.I don't believe the bearing should make a roaring sound when rotating and wanted some advice on replacing the flange & bearing.What are some of y'alls advice?

2. Thanksmjklaser, sumdatx thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Where to purchase flange bearing or just bearing itself?Thanks for your help!

5. Thankssumdatx thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For your peace of mind, replace it. Over on the VTXOA forum is a member, JonVTX1800C or something close, from the state of Wash., who sells them re-manned to his specs, for about $175. Before you shiver at that price, if you send yours to him, and it's repairable for him, as a core, he'll rebate $60 back. I went this way because I picked up a polished final drive with unknown miles on it, and wanted to be safe above all. Get yourself a tube of Moly 77 while you're at it to fine-coat the axle and the final splines.

7. Thankssumdatx thanked for this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    I took it to the MC shop next town over and had the bearings replaced.As we were removing the old bearings they just feel apart.I have no idea how I was riding with them in that bad a shape! With my exhaust noise I never heard any noise coming from them but I did notice a little shimmy in the turns and just replaced the shock bushings yesterday so thought that was the issue as they were shot.I will order a new flange w/bearing and next service intervial swap it out.I appreciate the reply,be safe and ride on......

10. Thanksmjklaser, sumdatx, PaXman11 thanked for this post
    mjklaser is offline ~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
    New Hampshire Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gojo View Post
    I pulled the rear tire today to have new tires mounted and while I was looking things over I checked the flange bearing on the rear wheel.I can use my finger to turn the bearing and it makes a roaring like sound but is smooth to rotate.I don't believe the bearing should make a roaring sound when rotating and wanted some advice on replacing the flange & bearing.What are some of y'alls advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gojo View Post
    I took it to the MC shop next town over and had the bearings replaced.As we were removing the old bearings they just feel apart.I have no idea how I was riding with them in that bad a shape! With my exhaust noise I never heard any noise coming from them but I did notice a little shimmy in the turns and just replaced the shock bushings yesterday so thought that was the issue as they were shot.I will order a new flange w/bearing and next service intervial swap it out.I appreciate the reply,be safe and ride on......
    So glad you found (and fixed) that problem! Good work, for your sake! That could have led to a...

12. Thankssumdatx, PaXman11 thanked for this post
    sumdatx is offline Deplorable Member
    Virginia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gojo --- The main problem with many of our flanges is the interference fit for the bearings (2) is just too tight leading to premature failure of the bearings. This is one area that I need to fix as well. Luckily I have a very good friend that's a top-notch machinist. Here is a great thread of "talking pictures" about the flange and how to fix it: https://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.p...x-Step-by-Step
    Fran offered a very good solution too. The guy on the VTXOA recognized the problem early on and stepped in to help others deal with it. But if you can find a good machinist locally, that may be a little cheaper route to follow.
    Just throwing this out to you -- you're not the "Lone Ranger" when it comes to flange problems.
    tom

14. ThanksPaXman11 thanked for this post

Thread Information