I moved to the right saddlebag to get the cable brace installed, and I wound up stripping one of the heads of the cheap bolts when trying to get the lower post removed. Had to Dremel the head down so I could get the bolt out, and then I promptly ordered new SS hardware to replace all of the cheap lower bolts. Also stopped at Home Depot and bought SS screws to replace the ones for the lid hinges and to secure the upper cable brace mount to the underside of the lids. And finally found a good set of SS hinges with no holes, so I can drill them to match the hole pattern in the bags & lids...should have them late this week or early next week, and then all of the hardware will be SS and new.
Received the Torca AccuSeal exhaust clamps and installed them on the left pipe. These should work fine, but I'll need to cut the end of the bolt down to give more room and make me feel better.
Received the two new U-pipes and started brainstorming on how to get them to work as heat shields.
There will be a lot of cutting and welding, and so what better time than now to start learning the art of welding.
Since I've got a bunch of scrap pieces of metal laying around, I'll hone my skills on them and then move onto the pipes when I feel my beads are good enough with this flux core welder.
Also received the three sections of stock exhaust pipe that Dan (pepsX) sent me, and these should work out great. The heat shield clamps are a pretty cool setup, so I can cut them out and weld them to the inside of the shields I'm making...assuming they shields will be good when I'm done with them.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks
One step forward, two steps back.
So the two U-bend pipes that I bought with the big 4" center line radius aren't going to work. I thought I'd just be able to cut these down and weld them to make the same bend as the offset pipes, but it won't look right and will involve a lot more work than I'm wanting to do. So I sent them back and got a refund (minus the shipping back to Amazon), and I also was able to send back the Champion hinges (minus the shipping + a 15% restocking fee - I hate those damn fees for something that comes out of a package and gets tossed back into a bin).
The step forward is that I found a company on eBay (after a TON of searching the 'Net...again) that had a 2.5" O.D. on 2.5" CLR U-bend and a 2.25" O.D. on 2.25 " CLR U-bend. My hope is that with the CLR of these two being closer to the CLR of the offset pipes (2.625"), I'll be able to just cut, flip & weld them and that they'll fit over the offsets and not cause any problems. We shall see....they should be here by Monday. I'm still debating on whether to do the work myself or take them to the same muffler shop that did the offsets and have them do it. If everything works well with these new U-bends, I will still need the inner band clamps welded to the new section of heat shield, and then I'll need the new sections welded together with the existing shields to form one continuous piece on each side. It should be cheaper going this latter route, as the new welding equipment totaled almost $300.
Happy Father's Day to all the dads in Cafe' Land.
Last edited by MR VTX; Yesterday at 11:58 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks
Happy Fathers Day to you, Jason. Ahhh, the trials of fabrication .... On most of my chrome exhaust covers of the 3 aftermarket pipes, there was a simple piece of (maybe) 1/2" x 1 1/2" metal tacked welded to the inside of the chromed cover, a small raised area in the middle and this is where a hose clamp went thru and around the exhaust pipe. Most of the time, if I had to remove the pipes I would just replace the clamps (heat cycles + being tightened pretty good = a clamp that would not hold any more). I always got stainless clamps too.
Granted, the clamps for the OE pipe covers is pretty much bullet proof and holds really good. But in a custom fabrication like yours, maybe something simple would be easier to do and just as effective. Just thinkin' ---
As for me, still chasin' an air leak causing exhaust backfire. My friend says to replace the 2 intake to cylinder connectors/sleeves. His logic is sound but that means another really involved tear down
Oh well, if it was perfect, I'd just rub all the chrome and paint off it and need more chrome and more paint.....
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks
Thanks Tom. Yeah, I guess a simple piece life that would work fine for the clamp to go through, and I agree about changing the clamps out...the ones I have that came with the Dooleys have seen better days, so I'll be replacing them with better stainless ones.
Originally Posted by sumdatx
Sorry to hear that you're still chasing the exhaust leak...those things are so frustrating.
Enjoy your day tomorrow! I've been told that I'm getting breakfast in bed with all of my favorites...and being made by all three kids.