Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Kickstand issue

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  PaXman11 
#1 ·
When I moved from NJ to NC, the movers put my 2008 VTX 1300R on the truck and transported it down. It was lashed to the inner sidewall while on the kickstand. When I got the bike off the van, it seemed to lean a bit further than it did when I put it on. And the kickstand was more difficult to put down, having been tucked under the frame a bit further than it used to be. I suspected that the lashing and the ride either bent the kickstand frame underneath, but I had it looked at by a Honda tech, and he said it did not appear bent.
Is there something else I should be looking for that may be causing this issue? I don't want to spring for a whole new assembly if i don't have to, and the bike is held up securely when the kickstand is down. But i don't want to put it down one day and find that it's broken and unusable, either. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Reactions: mjklaser
#4 ·
the mount is welded to the frame...

remove and check the crutch of the side stand...

both 'up's' should be even where it slides to the frame mount... and NO cracks..

I meant NO disrespect.... most are Never greased.. till they are rusted and will not rotate..

#5 ·
This does not sound like a greasing/lubrication problem. The issue is not that the stand is hard to move. Rather, the description makes it sound like the stand is out of place (bent, cracked, etc.) thus allowing the bike to lean further than normal. All you can really do is 1) carefully inspect the kickstand and mounting area for bends, cracks, etc. and 2) compare the angle, bend, and mounting of your stand to that of another 1300. Best of luck and please tell us what the outcome is.

#7 ·
Thanks! Not many VTX's around here to compare it to, but the a closer inspection is clearly warranted. Will advise. In the meantime, should it become necessary, how much is a replacement stand and would a Honda place have them?

#13 ·
Did some google searches and found a few on ebay (2005 r pictured). Looks like the stand has a fork design to it. As others stated, you're going to need to get down there and take a look.
Forks could be bent or the mount on the bike (forks attach to) is bent. Or, worse case, cracked.

Big bikes, look closely, would not want this part to fail. If you have a shop near by, they could spray/brush some zyglo/penetrant on the area to check for cracks. Would need to be really clean but it's great tool for non-destructive testing.

Hope all turns out well.

Attachments

#14 ·
Since it's off, why not do a 'Kickstand mod'? You drill through the foot or contact area of the stand, and run a bolt through it, double nut it, and it sticks out enough that the heel of your boot or shoe grabs it when you want to park it. You can look up DIY examples.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.