gas mileage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gas mileage

Post Thanks / Like

gas mileage

Hi riders, I'm curious to know what kind of gas milage you get, and how many miles do you go before switching to reserve ? I'm riding a 04, VTX 1300. Thanks for input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is highly dependent on the speed I ride. Interstate riding 75-80ish can be 36-38. Riding 55 on 2 lane might be 44-45. Everything that adds weight and pushes more air will affect your mileage.

4. Thanksevets, Falcon518, FRNKCAT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a few threads on this...
    Generally, you will get 125-155 miles before reserve. I'd guess the common average is around 140 miles. This is using the oem speedo and odo that are known to be "off" in most cases.
    Personally, my 1300R with Fairing, Lowers, Bags and Harley trunk will get to 144 miles before it starts sputtering. The longer I'm below 55mph- the miles go up (I've hit 158 miles a few times). If I'm sustained over 75mph... it goes way down (128-ish).

6. Thanksevets thanked for this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for input. I do get around 44 mpg, I do mostly 55-60 mph. Have to share with you. Today I look down and see I'm at 140 miles, heading home. While stopped at signal, I decide to go ahead and switch to reserve. Light turns green, I go - - -not, sputter, stall. Reach down and turn valve from the "off" position to reserve. Most everyone made the light. That's what prompted this inquiry. Fun times.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been getting right at 142 before I have to switch to reserve. I usually do about 70 but even during in town rides I still seem to be pretty consistent.

10. ThanksFalcon518 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, Do you fuel up with your bike on the kickstand ( I do ) or is the bike upright filling your tank to its maximum. I am sure there's quite a bit of more room if filling in the upright position rather then on the kickstand.

Also, I notice that after going to reserve and stopping fairly soon, my bike will only take about 3.5 gallons while on the kiskstand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do fill bike on kickstand. Didn't think about that. I'll have to recalculate my figures for when to get gas, after switching to reserve. Although, at average of 44 mpg, a gallon left should be enough to find the next gas station. Said the lonely man sitting on long empty road in the middle of nowhere. HA !

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 300 pounds, tire pressure 37 PSIG front and 38 PSIG rear running 65-70 MPH on mostly level road. 2000 VTX "C" gets 40-42 MPG and switch to reserve 160-165 miles. Negative rabbit starts, wheelies, just steady throttle and enjoy the ride. Wishing you well!

Post Thanks / Like
    32-36 mgp range for me. I think I calculated 33 adjusting for the speedo being 9% high and assuming the odometer was also 9% high. If the odo is actually correct then 36+. I also re-jetted the carb with 210 main jet. It's a safe assumption my (06 1300c) gets lower mileage than a factory lean running bike.

My motorcycle mechanic told me long ago to fill up and run on reserve home to get the older/dirtier gas out of the bottom of the tank once in a while. If you switch to reserve and sputter out that sounds like your lower straw might be dirty, or that gas in the bottom of your tank is less than desirable.

Post Thanks / Like
    gas mileage...

Brain
    right hand
    traffic
    stop lights and signs
    speed
    not-speed.
    tire air pressure.. ( 40/40 )
    brake drag.
    correct gear for the speed...

there is the New GoldWing... a computer controlled 7 speed manual transmission..
    you do not have a clutch lever.. or need to shift..
    but have buttons if you MUST.

16. Thanksmjklaser thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information