Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

instalation of a amp and mp3 player

7K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  chicguy 
#1 ·
Just wondering if you guy's that have installed a amp and mp3 player on your motorcycles. Have ever had any trouble with your charging system after you did that. People have told me that amps are very hard on your charging system and i was want some other opions Thanks

#3 ·
The size amp that you will use for the motorcycle will not cause any problems for the charging system but I wouldn't leave it on for a long period without the bike running.

#7 ·
I have a 150 watt system from DWG. I have had it for over a year, after buying the Honda digital audio system with my new bike for big bucks! I like it and have not had a problem with it. Amp fit nicely under the seat.:mosh:

#8 ·
I have the shark audio system 150w version and have had no problems. Can hear the system fine. A buddy of mine told me yesterday as he was riding behind me he could hear the radio. I have an MP3 hooked to it in the pouch of the tank bra. Couldnt be happier. Only thing visible is the speakers and the remote.

#9 ·
Amps have come a long way in the past few years...Getting good power (50 watts+) from amps small enough to fit in a windshield bag...Just a few years ago an amp putting out that kind of power wouldn't even fit under a car seat...I remember when high end car stereos put out maybe 7 watts RMS/15 watts peak into 2 chanels...I have a nice Sony that I'm gonna put on my ride that puts out 45 watts peak into 4 channels, with a 10 amp fuse protecting it...Power amps have become very small and very efficient...Just like everyone else has said..Don't leave it on for extended periods with the bike off and you'll be fine...

#10 ·

Have a 200w Amp mounted vertically on the inside wall of the saddlebag.

Did it myself, hid all the wires. Going to take off the Speaker Grills and just put one flat piece of steel mesh on the whole back of the tool bag. The speakers rattle and aren't very secure is the main reason... And its a tight fit up there between the risers and the windshield.

Amp: $40
Speakers: $20
Tool Bag: $30

Can hear it just fine to about 80mph. I wear a full face helmet, so that's probably why I cant hear it going that fast.

I also used a 4-Wire Trailer Hitch connector for the 4 speaker wires, and made the tool bag removable. It stays with Velcro straps around the Risers.

No charging problems. Obviously, you don't want to leave it on all the time, I just hooked up the "Remote" lead to the switch (turns amp on). Doesn't draw a lot of power. I asked about this here myself, and someone said that they had a system they left on for an hour and the bike still started fine.

Not planning on doing that, but.. there ya go

-Gonz

#15 ·
Where is the best place to buy a shark amp system. I want to put a batwing with a stereo on my bike, but boss lady said I have to wait. thanks
Here 'ya go!!.... http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/...__yacht_2_speakers__amplifier__radio_pkg.html

This link is to the 100 watt system...They also have a 250 watt system that alot of folks buy without researching first...Both systems have the same power rating of 100 watts for the stereo left and right channels..The extra 150 watts in the 250 watt system is only powering a subwoofer output...So unless your planing on adding a subwoofer at some time, save yourself some $$$ and get the 100 watt system...

#16 ·
Remember...twice the watts does not mean twice as loud....

#17 ·
uniqcycle has a 360 watt and I had read up on most of these small amps. They don't draw a lot. they have went as far a stating 4 hours playing time and the bike will still start. well I did my 300 watt amp for 2 hours. and the voltage only dropped a 1/2 a volt. :mosh:It was at 12.5 volts.

#18 ·
We've talked a lot about playing time with the bike off but what about when you're shut down for a few days or a week. Can you just shut the bike down or I read on here that you should power down the whole unit with one of the buttons on the amp.

If that's the case, isn't it a but awkward to have the amp under the seat. I was going to put mine in the windshield bag in order to get at it, use if for the radio oocasionally etc.

#19 ·
Gonz, where did you get the little speaker covers on your tool bag?
That's what I wanted to do instead of just putting black wire meash on cutouts for the speakers.

I have had the 250 Shark system for over a month (not amped yet) but had to wait until last weekend to head out and buy the tool bag to mount it. I like my bike clean looking and didn't even want the speakers showing on the bars.

Playing the system off my Blackberry, the sound was very good. With the bag closed, volume was very much lower. I was planning on cutting holes in the top of the tool bag and undermounting some black screening.

However, travelling over 50 and with a half helmet, normal wind noise cancelled it out - not sure how it's clear @ 70-80 for others as wind noise cancels it out.

Anyway, great system for the money, I'll probably try ear buds for the hiway

#20 ·
Gonz, where did you get the little speaker covers on your tool bag?
That's what I wanted to do instead of just putting black wire meash on cutouts for the speakers.

I have had the 250 Shark system for over a month (not amped yet) but had to wait until last weekend to head out and buy the tool bag to mount it. I like my bike clean looking and didn't even want the speakers showing on the bars.

Playing the system off my Blackberry, the sound was very good. With the bag closed, volume was very much lower. I was planning on cutting holes in the top of the tool bag and undermounting some black screening.

However, travelling over 50 and with a half helmet, normal wind noise cancelled it out - not sure how it's clear @ 70-80 for others as wind noise cancels it out.

Anyway, great system for the money, I'll probably try ear buds for the hiway

The speaker grills came with the speakers.

However, later on, I did put some mesh on the back of it. Seems the mesh is made for HVAC Return Covers, and readily available (already black) from Lowes/Home Depot.. Cut it to fit with a pair of tin-snips.

Since then, Ive gotten a Fairing.. Gave the Tool Bag, speakers, and Amp to Bassdude in case Jen wanted tunes on her ride when he gets it on the road.

-Gonz

#21 · (Edited)
Hell the cheapest part of these systems is the amp. The speakers are the important issue. I have 4" coaxial pioneer speakers, which are loud. Needs more bass. Most motorcycle speakers I have heard are real tinny.
I have a subwoofer powered amp coming. If that company pulls their head out of there ass. I might just have to ride down to LA and take care of buisness. It a Kenwood KSC - SW10. Check it out at crutchfields.:mosh::mosh::mosh:

I ordered from a company called dealercostcaraudio. I should have checked them out first. They have millions of complaints. After I get this installed I will let you know how the battery does. I have 4 12 volt batteries that are for a scooter, if need be!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.