Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

07 1300r starting problem.

866 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  necoachbw 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry guys not mechanically inclined and trying to figure this problem out. Any help would be appreciated. sorry the post is so long. Guys my bike with 8,800 miles gives me a problem of not starting. It did it last summer for me and now this past weekend.

I rode it Friday afternoon filled with gas. Garaged it for the night went back Saturday morning and it started ran for about a minute backfired and then stopped. Then I could not get it started. Turns over but would not fire.
Had it towed to the dealer today. The tow truck unloaded it and the dealer tired to start it and it fired right up. This was the same thing that happened to me last summer and the dealer said it was bad gas, but it seems strange.
Anyhow I asked them if they would check it out since I had bought the extended warranty but they said they would have to have a problem for them to use the warranty. I said there has to be problem. I told my sales guy. You know I don't want to be traveling on the road and this happen. It happened this past July and this past weekend.
If anyone has any help. I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time and advice. Ride Safe

#2 ·
the most common problem is the battery cables loosen up...remove your seat and tighten them with a wrench...........the backfiring is due to the excess gas in the carb from trying to start it........I think!! sometimes if I have trouble starting, and I have twisted the throttle many times...I will not touch the throttle and try to start it...letting it idle for a few seconds before giving any more gas......I bought the extended warranty and had to argue with the dealer to get them to use it, too......

#3 ·
Could be a few things. But a lot of the times the culprit can be the wires heading to the ECM or even the cables on the battery. Both are known to cause problems. Tighten the battery cables with a wrench, not a screwdriver. And there are green connectors to the ECM which are known for breaking very easily, check those. And if its been sitting for awhile, check the plugs and carb, the carb may need cleaned and plugs could be fouled

#7 ·
The bike is still up at the dealers and it started ride up today again and sounded great they told me. I don't know whats wrong. I guess I go get it and ride it again till it happens and have it towed back up to the dealers and hope it won't start for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.