Speedometer Not Working

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speedometer Not Working

Post Thanks / Like

Question Speedometer Not Working

Has anyone ever fixed a speedometer? It has power to it but does not register any speed or miles. HELP before I get a ticket.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know if you've done it already, but check both green connectors under the front of the tank that go to the speedo. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing to check will be those two small connectors that are stuffed up under the front right side of the gas tank as you are sitting on the bike. I had the same issue once and those where just loose. You may need to clean them up a bit and reconnect them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Fuman is offline Senior Member
    Indiana Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Late last year mine started to not work and work off and on. Had to replace the speed sensor. Dealer did it under warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really sounds like those connectors are loose. Check those before anything. You can do that without removing the tank and it won't cost anything to check that first.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with starting out checking the plugs first, just be sure to be gentle with them there pretty fragile.
    Mine kept zeroing out the trip meters because of a loose connection in the plugs. The way I cured mine was to run a zip tie around the center of the each plug between the wires, now there held together tight and I haven't had a problem since. If you turn your bars to the left you should be able to get to them without removing anything.

P.S. Once you get them fixed, if you ever need to remove the tank don't unhook them. Just unbolt the bottom 3 screws on the console and raise the dash up and strap it to the bars so the tank will come off while the fragile clips are left alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    After checking your green connectors, if it still doesn't work you might want to look at the speed sensor. The steps for troubleshooting it are in the manual. You need a special adapter to do it right. I didn't go through all the steps for that reason. I found a used one on e-bay for $50, it solved my problem. Before total failure, I had intermittent operation. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I checked the green connectors to make sure they are connected properly and it still does not work. What is the speed sensor?

OK, I found my manual and see what the speed sensor is but what tool I need to test it?

Post Thanks / Like
    The method for troubleshooting the speed sensor is in the electrical section of the manual. The special tool sounded like a pig-tail wiring harness to me.

Donut is offline Senior Member
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK - I know you said you checked both the green connectors. But I'd go back and check them again very very very closely with a magnifying glass -sometimes the small pins in the sockets get pushed back into the connector just a little and don't make contact. You have to look very close.
    This has happened many times before - I had one person go back and look four times before he found it. He was getting mad at me for insisting so much.
    All dash info goes threw those green plugs.
    Only other thing is the sensor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information