Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Problems with seat frame thingymabob...

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Kevrox 
#1 ·
Ok, so here was my journey with my seat problems.

After purchasing my VTX last year I noticed the two allen hex bolts that hold the seat frame to the chrome chassis, I guess that is what you would call it.
Were on there pretty good, in fact it looked as though the previous owner had tried to get them off, but had stripped out the left side bolt...lucky me, and the other side was not that far off. In any even they were both seized up pretty good.

I decided to drill them out using a 7/64th bit and use a screw extractor. First starting with the left side. It drilled out ok, not hitting any of the threads, but in hindsight, and for any of you that are experiencing this, use a left hand bit, you never know it might come out when you are drilling... anyway, the screw extractor caught fine, but still wouldn't budge. I tried freeze out, and even thought of heating the bolt with the torch...just too much risk with the paint in there.

So what I had to do is, remove the rear fender, be really careful here pulling back and down. I scratched the hell out of the fender, put some cloth or towels between the chrome and your fender. Removed the 6 hex bolts holding that on, lower the fender, then took my seat off by removing the three small bolts holding the seat to the small seat frame.

Now here you want to use a punch tool to center punch the very center of the bolt, before you start drilling. I did not, should have, but I didn't. Also try to drill as strait as possible here, you don't want to hit the bolt hole threads if you don't have to. Unfortunately, this sucker was really stuck, so I progressively increased my drill bit size till I got to 9/32's size. Went to my local Hardware shop (Ace), told the guy what size bit I used and said I needed a metric tap and corresponding bolt to go with it, 5/16th's is what he got me, and 3/8's inch long bolt.

I then tapped out the bolt hole with the tap, I used a penetrating oil for lube on this, i've heard to use motor oil, or you can purchase cutting oil just for this purpose. Since I already had the penetrating oil, I used it. Worked fine for me just make sure you use it generously. I turned the tap one full turn and back a quarter each time, until the tap went all the way through.

Auto part Vehicle Car

The other side was much easier. I drilled it out as well, but in the process of drilling it out, the bolt started to move and came out. So luckly I didn't have to re-thread that side, but went and bought a 3/8 inch long bolt with 1.25mm threading, works perfectly.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Auto part Headlamp

Also not sure what is recommended, but would put some loctight on the bolts just to be safe. Just don't use a darn impact wrench to tighten them down like the moron that owned my bike before me did!!:doh:

Hope this helped, or at least gave some ideas to people that are in a bind!!

See less See more
#2 ·
As long as the tongue on the seat goes into the slot under the tank, and you have the rear bolt in (near the brake light)... those side bolts are just extra insurance. I have a C&C custom seat that is also the 1 piece "gunfighter" style like the stock seat... It doesn't even have a place to use those side bolts. The front tongue and the rear bolt is all there is. It is good you got them out though. I am always needing to take my seat off for 1 reason or another.

#3 ·
That was exactly my problem, going to be installing a few things in the near future that will require the seat to be removed and whatnot...it was a pain, frustrating because I really don't have any mechanical knowledge at all, so I was pretty much winging it the whole way...spent some extra cash for parts I didn't need, but ended up with the same result...me smiling and a good ride up to the lake:D

#4 ·
If you ever get a 2 piece seat (like the Mustang), look into the pin mod. It will save you a lot of grief later... and it is super easy to do!

BTW: We both know that Durango Red is the fastest color :drunk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.