Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Stereo Installed

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  IndyX 
#1 ·
Welp, sold a few things, worked some extra hours at the second job.. So, I skipped buying the trailer just yet, and got a new stereo for the bike.

Some time ago, Bassdude said something about a stereo that you could put your iPhone Inside, but I didnt know it was Satellite Ready.. Bonus!

Sony DSX-S210X - Satellite Ready. These radios are normally around $200 (give or take) and I didnt want to spend that kind of money on a radio, but I missed my Satellite Radio badly.. Tried the remote satellite radio thing (Transmits on FM) but the vibration ended up not working out with the connectors, and it eventually quit working. I decided if I was going to go the Satellite Radio route, I would just get a head unit that it ready for it.

So, I pulled the trigger on it.. It was on clearance for $109. The cool thing is, it has a place for my iPhone.. Tilt down the faceplate, and a shelf comes out with an iPhone connector, and you can literally put your iPhone inside the stereo, and the stereo will control the iPhone, charge it, etc.... Pretty trick.. Now I just have to put music on the iPhone.. But Im dreading installing iTunes on my computer... ugh...

It tells you the artist, name of the song, etc.. which is pretty cool. No SD Card, but its got a USB slot on the front I can plug a USB stick into and have all the tunes that were on my SD Card. About the only thing it Doesnt do is Bluetooth for your phone while you're riding, but.. I dont answer my phone on the bike.. :)

But, if you want satellite on one of these, you have to spend the extra $50 on a "Receiver" that plugs in to the Stereo in the back. Got that too..

I also did some of the "plastic" thing inside the fairing, so if/when it rains, the water will drip down on plastic and run off versus dripping on the radio.. Took some doing, but it looks like it will work.

Of all the people here, I know... I know... Pics or it didnt happen..

I am no "Stereo Aficionado" and really never gave two hoots about a "Fancy Pants" Stereo, but it is pretty slick.. Probably the best stereo Ive ever owned.

Installing the Satellite Unit next. Hoping its small enough to fit inside the fairing.

Also got my front tire off and am going to have it changed from my worn out Dunlop D404 (11k miles - cant complain) to an Avon Roadrider AM26 Universal (Front or Rear) tire..

Have to install the Pegs my Passenger Bought.. (Thanks TigerX - she loved the Swing Wings, so she bought herself some).

Work work work.. all this to get ready for the Three Goy's and A Jew 2013 Ride. :)

-Gonz

See less See more
#6 ·
Looks are one thing, functionality is another.

Installed it, and it wont play any music from the USB nor iPhone. FM Tuner works great, but nothing else. It displays everything (Artist, Song Title, Counter) and Acts like its playing it, but no sound.. I guess we shall see how good Amazon is at returning things..

I hope this can get turned around before the trip...

-Gonz

#7 ·
I know what your going through. It's a simple fix. Its a common error that people do with that head unit. You confused a wire. I figured it out by just googling the issue. Swapped the wires and it worked. I will try to find the issue. While I look, pay close attention to each wire. I think the common problem has to do with the power antenna wire is confused with another wire, which means you might have the antenna wire hooked instead of leaving it disconnected.

?BuYA!

#18 ·
Interested how this works after a few months.

If you want to use USB grab a Sandisk Cruzer Fit, barely notice it is in there and can close the radio cover. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.