Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vance and hines pipes, pair valve removal, flapper and tube out of air box. Smells really rich at idle and pulling up to stop sign. How do I tell the FPR is bad with out it going completley bad?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Normally, but not always, if the FPR is bad, you can remove the vacuum line and there will be fuel in the vacuum side.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K thanks. I'll check that.

If I replace it did Honda update it or is it likley to go out again in 20k??

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I dont know if they updated it or not, I've replaced mine at 10k and again, probably unnecessarily, at 12k. It's not that difficult of a fix.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
152 Posts
Fpr

Vance and hines pipes, pair valve removal, flapper and tube out of air box. Smells really rich at idle and pulling up to stop sign. How do I tell the FPR is bad with out it going completley bad?

I guess this falls into the stupid category. Where is this lil beast at? I am having the same problems and have replaced the in tank fule filter in my 03 1800 S. I have 49,000 miles on it and this is the 3rd filter. It did sit for 18 months after my accident so I knew I was replacing it. Now I still got the uneven idle and surging.:banghead:

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
It's located on the fuel rail, if you search oem replacement parts, you can find an exploded view, search throttle body.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Caretaker, when you locate it, pull the vacuum hose off as previously mentioned. If there is fuel in the vacuum don't wait to replace it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
152 Posts
Fpr

Caretaker, when you locate it, pull the vacuum hose off as previously mentioned. If there is fuel in the vacuum don't wait to replace it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Will do, found it, but gotta wait till tommorrow ev ening to work on it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine didn't have fuel in the vacuum line but it did spit out fuel when I turned on the bike and the fuel pump primed, that's how I knew mine was bad.

·
Registered
33 Posts
regulator

thanks guys, this has been usefull mine has all the classic symptoms, as you describe and has 10500 miles so will change it, and oil and filter as running rich can cause barrel wash and oil contamination/ deterioration.:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts