Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to run my head into a wall trying to get this going. Mine died going down the interstate just like it was out of gas. I pulled over and a few mins later it kinda didn't want to start (like the batt was low) then it fired and was off and didn't miss a lick. Then a few days later I started it up and it ran for a few feet and then fell on its face like it was out of gas....Pulled the tank and checked for water...none.....started looking for wires broke...none....got to the fuel pump and saw that it was electric. Well, my first thought was fuel pump. Then I called Honda here in LR, AR and they said that they have only replaced one fuel pump and that was on a new bike that had a oil build-up inside of it from the factory before it was sold. They transfered me to the shop and they walked me thru a way of jumping the fuel pump to test it. You have to jump from the "Fuel Shut off Relay" (on the right side just inside the chrome cover under the fueses). It is a small black box that has three wires (you jump the blue and black with a jumper wire). My fuel pump then started pumping.....put the relay back on and it won't. So, I got a new relay and it is doing the same thing....$77.00 dollars later. Does anyone have any ideas or has this happened to you?... I will pick up a new batt Mon after work and see if that will fix it. I am thinking that if the volts are too low it will not run the pump...I know that it will pull the batt down to 3v tring to start it so I know that I need a new batt...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am about to run my head into a wall trying to get this going. Mine died going down the interstate just like it was out of gas. I pulled over and a few mins later it kinda didn't want to start (like the batt was low) then it fired and was off and didn't miss a lick. Then a few days later I started it up and it ran for a few feet and then fell on its face like it was out of gas....Pulled the tank and checked for water...none.....started looking for wires broke...none....got to the fuel pump and saw that it was electric. Well, my first thought was fuel pump. Then I called Honda here in LR, AR and they said that they have only replaced one fuel pump and that was on a new bike that had a oil build-up inside of it from the factory before it was sold. They transfered me to the shop and they walked me thru a way of jumping the fuel pump to test it. You have to jump from the "Fuel Shut off Relay" (on the right side just inside the chrome cover under the fueses). It is a small black box that has three wires (you jump the blue and black with a jumper wire). My fuel pump then started pumping.....put the relay back on and it won't. So, I got a new relay and it is doing the same thing....$77.00 dollars later. Does anyone have any ideas or has this happened to you?... I will pick up a new batt Mon after work and see if that will fix it. I am thinking that if the volts are too low it will not run the pump...I know that it will pull the batt down to 3v tring to start it so I know that I need a new batt...

I had the exact same symptoms on my '07' 1300r after taking it in for 600 mile maintenance. I would get about 5 miles down the freeway and it would act like it was out of gas and just die. Then a few minutes later start up again. It is now fixed although I wish I could better tell you the cause. I left it with the dealer for 2 days and they were able to duplicate the problem on a test drive of their own. They told me the problem was a kinked fuel line to the carb caused when they put the bike back togther after the maintenance, but i'm not sure I agree that was the actual problem. Luckily it has never happened again now. I just wish I knew exactly what they did because I have heard of lots of others with this problem and would love to share the solution. It can be pretty scary at 70-75 on the freeway in traffic and all of a sudden have a bike that doesnt run. Tough to weave the cars to get off the road with no power.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the battery is a gone'r.....it is the org and it is an 03....it just isn't getting fuel. I have seen a few blogs where they are running a direct line to the carb from the tank...as they did in the day of no electronics. Thats not a prob and I will do that today if I get time. Has anyone bypassed the fuel pump and had troubles?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Aint gonna work any different than all the thousands of bike (04 - 08) that don't have a pump....only downside is what hamph ^^^ mentioned.
You can change out the petcock too if that bothers you, but not necessary.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel Pump

Well, the problem was the fuel pump all this time. I bypassed the pump and went to the carb. I have had no problems at all....I am still using my petcock for now until I can find one on ebay.

I waited for a little while and watched it before I posted anything until I was for sure that it was fixed.

Thank you for all your posts....
:mosh::choppersm:cheers:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well, the problem was the fuel pump all this time. I bypassed the pump and went to the carb. I have had no problems at all....I am still using my petcock for now until I can find one on ebay.

I waited for a little while and watched it before I posted anything until I was for sure that it was fixed.

Thank you for all your posts....
:mosh::choppersm:cheers:
I think I'd just leave it disconnected or even remove it completely.
As was mentions, all of them from 2004 on don't have fuel pumps and I know for a fact that my 06 s model doesn't have one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts