Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 VTX1300C
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I changed out front pads and got the dreaded "clicking" noise.
Back story...bike has been in my hand for a couple months now. When I purchased it there was very little recorded maintenance so I decided to give her the care she deserves. Last on the list was front brakes and steering bearings, I'll do the bearings this winter.
I've been using EBC on all my dirtbikes and my supermoto for a decade with no issues till now. I am a very anal retentive jet mechanic by trade so I sometimes let that carry over to my motos.
On to glory...
I removed the rotor and cleaned it up on the lathe...just cleand it up. Spun the rotor took off the edge and ran a DA with 180 grit both sides then chamfered all the holes to .050". Installed the EBC FA196HH pads. Test ride to brake in pads....click click click click click. Stops good, feels good and sounds like...well it didnt sound good. I checked everything and even beveled the edges of the friction pads...click click click click. Put old pads back on...no click. Put new EBC pads back on without the fiber spacer and metal shield...click click click click. Hmmm...very odd. The EBC pads now have 80 miles on them with a lot of hard braking. Ordered factory pads 06455-MEA-672 and installed this morning. Test ride (30 miles)...no click. I will mention that I have EBC's on the rear and they make no noise and brake well. I did some investigating and the front pads are not "level" as you can see in the attached pictures...by .011"! Not sure if that was the cause of the clicking noise but not good.
Might I recommend going with the factory pads...they seem to brake just as good and no issues.
Anyway...hope this helps someone.
PIctures are of the EBC and old pads. View attachment 242600

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,297 Posts
OEM is what most recommend for brake pads. Been many a heated argument over EBC going back years

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
Yep, I had the same issue. Even happened on my Harley Softail. No more EBC for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts