Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 Vtx 1300s Antifreeze leak: Looks like coming from pipe between jugs at front jug. My mechanic had to replace the head gaskets on this bike (bought the bike with front fork damage and found out head gaskets were leaking) and since he had the engine out, i had him hone the cylinders and put new piston rings in to be on the safe side.

Right after i got it back i realized that it would leak antifreeze at the pipe between the jugs. I told him about it and he said that riding it would make the O-rings swell and they would finally seal. Well, I didn't ride a whole lot this summer(due to he fixed the forks but the steering stem bearings were bad and the lower steering stem was bent, which he overlooked and i put off making him fix it) but i did ride about 500 miles this summer. Well, now it is cold again, the leak has come back. It didn't seem to leak any during hot/warm weather, but it leaks in cold weather. In fact, I seen where it was splattering out on the side case after riding a little, so it isn't just leaking a few drops.

Anyone have some input/ suggestions to this? I would like to have some knowledge on this and what to do. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
My first thought would be to find a different mechanic, however being he was already paid to do the work I'd drop it off and make them fix it right. If they won't/can't get it right you'll have to see if you can figure out exactly where it is leaking to make sure it's a hose or O-ring and not the head gasket. My guess is he reused the old O-rings and thought he'd get away with it. (that would also make me wonder if he really honed it & replaced the rings)

If it's not the head gasket it shouldn't be to hard to get it sealed up right. There's plenty of people here that can walk you through just about anything you may need to do on it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Leak

I have a 04 1300c that i bought used I noticed antifreeze leaking and i thought it was coming from radiator so i purchased a new one. when i took off i noticed the hose connection at top of radiator was crushed and the reason it was crushed because there are two spacers between the radiator mount and radiator that were not put in the right spot between radiator mount and radiator. hope this helps and good luck

·
Registered
131 Posts
I also had a Leak on the back side of the front jug. I replaced the O-ring and it stopped the leak. Pretty simple job to do. :cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts