Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike left me stranded at a 4 way stop. All power shut off. I thought maybe I hit the key, although that would be difficult to do. I turned the key off and back on and nothing. I got the bike home and replaced the battery and the bike started right up. It's done it again, this time in front of my garage. Everything shut off and would not turn back on, so I checked my batt. voltage, it was 13.5 v. I put it back in and nothing. put the battery on the charger to recondition and now bike starts again. I am hoping someone has experienced this before and has a solution or advice. Bike is charging up to 14.4v and then comes down some while running. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
16,059 Posts
Fully charge it again, then take it to an auto parts place that will do a free 100 amp auto LOAD test, not checking for 12 or more volts! The LOAD test will tell you if you have a weak cell or more, and will still show 12+ volts. A weak battery is the starting point for checking all electrical problems. If this all works out, then you have other problems that are draining the battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you you checked your battery cables and Ground ?
Total loss of power, then it works, sounds like a connection some where to me.
I just replaced my battery. I had trouble starting it once in a while , after riding. Sometimes it would Not start, just grunt. After it sits for 20 min it would start. Its been a couple of months an I finally got a new battery, No problem now.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,214 Posts
Always tighten battery connections (on any bike) with a wrench not a screwdriver. Loose battery terminals are such a common issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My bike left me stranded at a 4 way stop. All power shut off. I thought maybe I hit the key, although that would be difficult to do. I turned the key off and back on and nothing. I got the bike home and replaced the battery and the bike started right up. It's done it again, this time in front of my garage. Everything shut off and would not turn back on, so I checked my batt. voltage, it was 13.5 v. I put it back in and nothing. put the battery on the charger to recondition and now bike starts again. I am hoping someone has experienced this before and has a solution or advice. Bike is charging up to 14.4v and then comes down some while running. Thanks for your help.
Check the small wires on the module that's on top of the battery box, especially the black wire on one end of the connector. I had a similar problem. The wire was broken at the connector.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I'll check the module connections and see if there are any loose grounds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you you checked your battery cables and Ground ?
Total loss of power, then it works, sounds like a connection some where to me.
I just replaced my battery. I had trouble starting it once in a while , after riding. Sometimes it would Not start, just grunt. After it sits for 20 min it would start. Its been a couple of months an I finally got a new battery, No problem starting now

·
Registered
9 Posts

Besides an electrical problem, this could also be a fuel / ignition problem.

There's an air vent in the tank lid. If it's clogged there will be a vacuum in the tank restricting fuel flow.

Check the spark plug cables. Make sure they are well connected to the spark plug connectors.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
This definitely sounds like an electrical problem and not a fuel/ignition problem since when it occurs, you get no lights on when you turn on the key and kill switch. Yes, the battery is new but you would not be the first person with a bad new battery. Hence, the first step is to fully charge the battery, remove it from the bike and have it load tested at a minimum of 100 amps (as was already recommended above).

If the problem is not the battery, you may have to wait for the problem to reoccur and then start examining the electrical system to see where the fault lies.

Someone help my poor memory. Is there a master circuit breaker on a VTX1300 through which all power passes?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I did a load test. Came back good. Now checking the connections from the battery back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just finished testing the solenoid and it functions like it should, I also checked the starter and it does not draw any more amps than it's supposed to. All my connections to battery are good. Sooo I will test the battery again and the charging system.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Intermittent problems, especially of the electrical variety, are always very hard to diagnose.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check the plug under seat, peel back boot and look for a bigger white plug that has 3-4 wires in/out.'
See if plug is burnt. I cant remember what color wires was ignition. Red w/ blk stripe I think,that was my problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You mentioned: " Bike is charging up to 14.4v and then comes down some while running."

Does your charging system deliver constant 14.4V? If not, check alternator and rectifier.
A damaged coil in the alternator or a damaged diode in the rectifier will reduce the output voltage and slowly drain the battery.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't had a chance to ride much lately, I would like to ride a while close to home and then see if my voltage has gone down after a couple hours ride. I did clean starter switch contacts and they were pretty dirty.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been riding daily this last week and have had zero problems since cleaning the starter contacts. Also, the bike turns over faster and starts easier. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Th
Been riding daily this last week and have had zero problems since cleaning the starter contacts. Also, the bike turns over faster and starts easier. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.
Thanks for posting a reply when it was fixed. Too many never respond with what they found wrong and what it took to fix it, so, thanks again!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts