Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a fix for the noisy rear shocks on my '06 1300C? There is a weird sound coming from them at about 25MPH. When I reach back, I can feel the spring inside scraping around..

I searched but found nothing but others selling aftermarket shocks. Theres gotta be a cheaper solution.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is the same problem i have at 30 mph.Like you said i can make it sound different while touching shock when vibrating and this is the reason why this noise dont happn when the gf is on bike ,she has the shocks preloaded. This noise drove me nuts for three years before i figured it out. Sure wish some one could think of a easy solution.

Bob

Is there a fix for the noisy rear shocks on my '06 1300C? There is a weird sound coming from them at about 25MPH. When I reach back, I can feel the spring inside scraping around..

I searched but found nothing but others selling aftermarket shocks. Theres gotta be a cheaper solution.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same problem. It also happens right around 30 mph. It drove me nuts for about 4 months untill I figured out it was the shocks. Still haven't found a fix for it yet.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just took my 2006 VTX 1300 shocks off last night and cut the housing and springs. There isn't really very much to them. Unless you have an actual problem with the pistons, then I would suspect worn shock bushings. This is easy to check and would at least eliminate one more area of potential trouble. To do a cursory check , just unscrew the shock mounting bolts and you can visually inspect at least the edges of the bushings. For safety, remove top bolt, inspect, re install, then do bottom bolt, inspect, and re install. I found my top bushings were starting to get chewed up, so I called my local dealer and ordered an upgrade bushing that actually comes of the lower mounts from an 1800. They are poly bushings and are a direct replacement for the top and bottom of a 1300. Part # 52489-HN0-671

IMG_2746.JPG

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
Is there a fix for the noisy rear shocks on my '06 1300C?
There is a weird sound coming from them at about 25MPH.

When I reach back, I can feel the spring inside scraping around...
Is this cruising 1rst gear at 25?

Have you let it just roll - clutch pulled at 35 at idle- and coast to 25?

Try to source the actual cause of vibration - eng, tire condition, etc.
Cupped tires and hard pressure front & back will shake the machine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts