Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Picked up a 2007 1300C for a screamin deal. (So good I didn't ask the wife)

It sat for a year or two but started right up and idles okay. Only has 8200 miles on it.

When I start to run down the road it's okay until part throttle then it bogs and has no power so I am going through the carb.

Previous owner added Hard Krome pipes and K&N filter but I think the jets are stock 195/55.

Should these be changed out for something different?

Anything in particular I should look for besides clogged ports etc?

I was going to order an AllBalls kit.

Would appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
When you say "Allballs kit" do you mean steering stem bearings or something else?

My advice is to do the following:
1) Check that battery is good
2) Check that battery cables are tight
3) Check date code on tires and likely replace them
4) Take carb off bike and thoroughly clean its "guts". Look for any damaged rubber parts while doing this
5) Buy the Factory Pro jet kit for this bike. Do NOT buy the Dynojet jet kit
6) Buy Glen's permanent A/F screw
7) Decap stock airbox or, at least remove the snorkels inside it
8) Drain the old fuel completely and replace with new fuel - standard 87 octane is fine. Premium (higher octane) fuel will make no difference in bike operation other than making your wallet lighter.
9) Change the oil and filter
10) Rejet/tune the carb using the instructions found here on the Cafe in a thread titled something like, "carb - what affects what"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All balls offers a rebuild kit.

Forgot to mention stock airbox was replaced with spike style filter.

Thx

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
923 Posts
All balls offers a rebuild kit.

Forgot to mention stock airbox was replaced with spike style filter.

Thx
Replace this filter with either stock, or stock decap (search for this, basically it is the stock box cut open to let more air in), or some other aftermarket design that is wide open all the way around so there is no ram air effect. Ram air will change the volume of air flow making it inconsistent, and almost impossible to perfectly tune.

If I was looking for an airbox now, I would get the goheen cycles 1300 air box adapter, then pick up one of the air cleaners he suggests on his site.
GC VTX1300 4" Intake Adapter | goheencycles

My air cleaner, notice it is open all the way around, so air will flow through the filter, and not ram it into the carb:

Mine is tuned for power, if you just want a little better air flow, your best option is a decapped stock air box. If you want to maximize your HP/Torque, wide open is the way to go. If you do go wide open, I have Jet settings for you to use as a starting point.

Oh, and ONLY USE the FactoryPro Jet kit. Anything else will make tuning a nightmare. Plus, most of the starting point for jets, are either using the stock needle or Factory Pro's.
Honda, VTX 1300, Retro, carb, shift star kit (factorypro.com)

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
As JPT says, do NOT use the All Balls jet kit. It will very likely contain parts from Dynojet. Use ONLY a Factory Pro jet kit.

·
Registered
2009 VTX1300T Touring
29 Posts
2nd the Factory Pro kit! I had issues with my system when you barely roll into the throttle. Loss of RPMs and it would just choke out, almost. I've replaced the vacuum piston diaphragm and installed a FP kit. Made a world of difference in my situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are there any non spike filter options available that don't break the bank?

I found a used complete factory set for $325!!!

Others styles found are around that.

Piecing a factory unit together would be tedious and expensive.

Can I get the spike unit to work reasonably well?

Do I need the fp kit to get the bike running right with the spike filter?

Would a bullet style like this work better than the spike?

I'm trying to not drop too much money on this yet until I decide on whether or not I am keeping the bike.

Cleaning out the carb, new plugs, change oil, fresh gas and see where I stand.

Thanks for all the earlier ideas.

Chris

·
Registered
923 Posts
Are there any non spike filter options available that don't break the bank?

I found a used complete factory set for $325!!!

Others styles found are around that.

Piecing a factory unit together would be tedious and expensive.

Can I get the spike unit to work reasonably well?

Do I need the fp kit to get the bike running right with the spike filter?

Would a bullet style like this work better than the spike?

I'm trying to not drop too much money on this yet until I decide on whether or not I am keeping the bike.

Cleaning out the carb, new plugs, change oil, fresh gas and see where I stand.

Thanks for all the earlier ideas.

Chris
Please see my post above with the Jeremy Goheen (Goheen Cycles) adapter. That plus the inexpensive filter (he recommends, which you can pick up at your local auto parts store) will give you a very good wide open non-ram air effect cleaner. YES FP jet kit is a MUST... If you decide to go that route, let me know (or search my posts) I will post my dyno sheet which had the FP jet kit settings). You will maximize the power, and not have any cold starting issues anymore.

If you can find a used factory set, for less, that is a cheaper route to go, all you have to do is put the factory jets/needle in and you will be good to go.

If you go with a spike filter you may be able to get it to run properly, but it will suffer from surges as the air flow changes (wind turbulence) from simply moving your leg, passing an 18 wheeler, or even wind changes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just ordered the Goheen Cycles adapter.

Will try to locate a used fp set first.

Thanks!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Just ordered the Goheen Cycles adapter.

Will try to locate a used fp set first.

Thanks!
Nice!

If you are close to Sea level (I'm at 100') here are my dyno tune numbers and my specs:
0.5 Needle means a #4 washer under the Needle E-clip
I have a Glensvtxgarage A/F tool (permanent) Air/Fuel Adjusting | glensvtxgarage
I also have Gheen cycle's Blockoff Plates for Pair Valve (Dimpled) VTX 1300/1800 & VT1300/Fury PAIR VALVE/DESMOG PLATE KIT (goheencycles.com)

Click on image for full size:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts