Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all -- I've owned my 1300C for 5 years and overall really like the bike. I haven't had any major problems -- very solid and reliable.

Recently it started dripping gas from the fuel switch which I learned was part of a recall for my make and model year. I was disappointed to learn that my VIN was not on the recall list, so I'm apparently on my own to cover it. If it's the same/similar issue, I don't understand why Honda won't back it.

Has anyone with the same problem challenged Honda and got it covered? How did you make it happen?

·
Super Moderator
10,297 Posts
I know nothing about the recall but one way that these leak is at the connection from the tank to the petcock. There is a large nut that can come loose. Make sure this is reasonably tight but not too tight. It has an o-ring so just past finger tight is enough.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
'06 VTX 1300 C and R
6,653 Posts
http://cdn.partzilla.com/diagram/honda/14MEM4/ILLUST/MEM4F/1600B.png

My '06 1300C developed a drip off the petcock. Tightened the petcock-to-tank nut to no effect (careful not to over-tighten and pinch the big o-ring there). Went the cheaper route and got the vacuum pot that attaches to the back of the petcock. No effect. Ended up ordering the petcock assembly @ $91 to fix the problem. Read a few posts just like yours where the years covered should have been more wide-spread. Honda seemed to just ignore requests for help. :swear: I mean, this is a pretty serious safety issue if you ask me. May have to shop around for the best price on the petcock assembly. Sorry I am not better help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
you may be better off just fixing it your self , going to a dealer to do something for free... .
i wouldn't trust them touching it anyhow .
just dig around on the Web to find the best price on the part
*knock on wood* my 2007 is still good but i'll be keeping an eye on it

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
You weren't clear on whether you contacted a stealer about this, yet... or is it just your own searching? If they reject based on serial number then ask for the name and phone number of the regional Honda Rep for your area and push the issue with them. But, if it was me, I'd buy the part and fix it myself... then I'd know it was done correctly. To hell with the stealer...

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Fix it yourself...Honda also flat out denies there's an issue with the steering head bearings in the 1300....But we all know better and fix it ourselves...

·
El Chupacabra Lives!
5,687 Posts
Fix it yourself...Honda also flat out denies there's an issue with the steering head bearings in the 1300....But we all know better and fix it ourselves...
Ain't nothing wrong with thew neck bearings in a 1300 - they're actually overkill, in a kids tricycle...

·
Registered
'06 VTX 1300 C and R
6,653 Posts
I guess they'd make a good "steelie" for marbles. :hmm2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback, gang. Got it done in one day -- $98 -- .5 hour labor + parts. All things considered, felt fortunate. Had to get it done while juggling work before hitting the road for Omaha Thursday AM (usually good for 1300 miles RT). One less very important thing off my mind....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couldn't have handled this one better on my own time and price-wise. Dealer service is a downright disgrace here in Chicago -- *zero* dealers (Honda-Yamaha-Kawasaki) in the city anymore -- you have to drag out to the suburbs. I have a little hole-in-the-wall place that does great work, but he said he couldn't even look at it for 2-3 weeks. I live in a high-rise condo building downtown, and working on it myself isn't always practical. Just glad to be fixed and ready to ride. The weather is looking perfect... :cool:

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
This might be helpful to some... I've been meaning to say... Bassdude404 clued me in a while back, that if this recall was performed on your '07, then the stealer center-punched a dimple into your frame, right next to the indented VIN#. I remember the stealer said something about performing a fuel system recall on my bike right before I took delivery... mine has the punch mark...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts