Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since he had the time, I had my brother put on my BrakeAway... In the process he marred the grip's end cap up and lost one of the teeny-tiny screws on the BrakeAway. One Email later and Brakeaway sent me a few of the screws within days. Great job and thanks to BrakeAway. Now I need to take some long rides and test it out :)

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
+1 on their customer service. I have 3 BrakeAways I have installed and 3 friends have them that I have helped install.

Have had the lost screw issue, messed up a spacer band, friend bent his when he tried to install it. They replaced the lost screw with 4, sent me 3 spacer bands all at no charge and no shipping. The bent one we called in about. One of their guys stayed on the phone with me 45 minutes to an hour walking me through exactly how to bend the part back - how far - just where to bend it. Then he stayed with me through 3 subsequent attemptes to get the unit to work. He talked and helped all the way through. 3rd time was the charm. Works like clockwork. If we hadn't gotten it fixed he had already offered to replace the unit.

Great product and great support.....

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
Now if I can just figure out how to get rid of the brake lever "play" that keeps disengaging the thing. I thought a washer would do the trick, but the space is too small for every washer I've tried. Since the unit that holds the brake lever looks like cast aluminum, I haven't tried to squeeze it together, although that would be my 1st fix with another metal. It's not brakaway's fault; they say clearly in the instructions that excessive "play" in the brake lever will screw up its' operation. :hmm2:

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Now if I can just figure out how to get rid of the brake lever "play" that keeps disengaging the thing. I thought a washer would do the trick, but the space is too small for every washer I've tried. Since the unit that holds the brake lever looks like cast aluminum, I haven't tried to squeeze it together, although that would be my 1st fix with another metal. It's not brakaway's fault; they say clearly in the instructions that excessive "play" in the brake lever will screw up its' operation. :hmm2:
Loosen the bottom nut on the lever pin then start tightening the pin it will pull the housing closed and mine actually pulled far enough that the lever wouldn't return once there just loosen a little on the pin then a drop of blue locktight on the threads and lock the lock nut in place.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
I'll give it a shot. Thanks, man.

Just went out and looked at the bike. The pin you referred to... does it look like a straight-slot screwdriver should fit?

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I must have gotten lucky mine went together easy and works like a charm. The hardest part was getting it over the ISO grips but a little liquid soap cured that.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
I need to get the "play" out of the brake lever, then go back to the original install instructions to adjust it properly. For the time being, I have an expensive, but non-functional throttle lock. I'll get there, just too many other chores to do lately. You doing OK?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Lawrence,off topic question.Your exaust on lets call it the stock side is a two into one,between the head you have a pipe crossing over to the single pipe,looks good,you rig this yourself,or a aftermarket set up
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
It's a Roadhouse Dooley exhaust system. The crossover pipe is behind the rear jug. Unfortunately, they quit making them last November. I grabbed up one of the last sets.

·
Registered
912 Posts
It's a Roadhouse Dooley exhaust system. The crossover pipe is behind the rear jug. Unfortunately, they quit making them last November. I grabbed up one of the last sets.
Something like a ''Y'' pipe on a car.Looks nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts