Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't thank SCAR and the rest of the group enough for the CARB MOD input on the site. I installed a 3" exhaust earlier and the bike felt a little lean. I installed a MAXFLO breather last night and a new A/F thumb screw... followed SCAR's procedure and decided to go with the three shims due to the larger diameter exhaust and pretty much open air breather set up. Clipped the diaphragm spring and reset the A/F to 2.5 out and Holy Smokes!!!
No back fire... no hesitation... no rich deposits... just plain old twist the throttle and stiffen your neck or lose your head... jump ugly response.
This bike absolutely growls and to have enough input from members like SCAR, RETRO RICH and others to get it right on the first try speaks volumes about the level of expertise on this site. I will post sound and video of the MOD's in the next day or two. Oh, and the new breather actually sits back an inch from my leg so no contact or interference or discomfort at all. It's pretty cool to hear nothing but...waahuuuuuuup (could not think of how to communicate the massive sucking sound the thing makes) when you twist the throttle. The mod also allowed me to dial down the idle without stalling to get that better than HD... Wa'THUMP.... Wa'THUMP.... Wa'THUMP.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I can't thank SCAR and the rest of the group enough for the CARB MOD input on the site. I installed a 3" exhaust earlier and the bike felt a little lean. I installed a MAXFLO breather last night and a new A/F thumb screw... followed SCAR's procedure and decided to go with the three shims due to the larger diameter exhaust and pretty much open air breather set up. Clipped the diaphragm spring and reset the A/F to 2.5 out and Holy Smokes!!!
No back fire... no hesitation... no rich deposits... just plain old twist the throttle and stiffen your neck or lose your head... jump ugly response.
This bike absolutely growls and to have enough input from members like SCAR, RETRO RICH and others to get it right on the first try speaks volumes about the level of expertise on this site. I will post sound and video of the MOD's in the next day or two. Oh, and the new breather actually sits back an inch from my leg so no contact or interference or discomfort at all. It's pretty cool to hear nothing but...waahuuuuuuup (could not think of how to communicate the massive sucking sound the thing makes) when you twist the throttle. The mod also allowed me to dial down the idle without stalling to get that better than HD... Wa'THUMP.... Wa'THUMP.... Wa'THUMP.
If you think that is good, try putting a 200 or 210 main jet in it. With your config your bike should absolutely handle it. Some might disagree, but with the larger main jet it's going run smoother, faster, and cooler.:choppersm

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought about that DUMBC but I read somewhere from RETRORICH that the stock Klein 195 was actually close to the same flow as the DJ 210's. After I play with the current set up for awhile I may try the up-size jets. I guess now that the plastic cam tit is cut I will have to keep the shim config.
BTW... Kudo's on the work you have done to your bike... I hope to get the rake and fat arss done next year.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Thought about that DUMBC but I read somewhere from RETRORICH that the stock Klein 195 was actually close to the same flow as the DJ 210's. After I play with the current set up for awhile I may try the up-size jets. I guess now that the plastic cam tit is cut I will have to keep the shim config.
BTW... Kudo's on the work you have done to your bike... I hope to get the rake and fat arss done next year.
yes the 210 DJ is about the same as our 195

the plastic cam tit don't mean anything just gives the needle room for adjustment, you would have to do the same thing for any after market kit.

If you decide to go a bit larger go with Factory-Pro jets they size them the same as ours.

factory-pro pilot 58 A/F set around 2 turns
factory-pro main 210-215

this gives better top end and low end grunt

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you decide to go a bit larger go with Factory-Pro jets they size them the same as ours.

factory-pro pilot 58 A/F set around 2 turns
factory-pro main 210-215

this gives better top end and low end grunt
+1 on the FactoryPro Jets, they are measured the same as stock.

The 58 pilot may or may not be necessary, I'm using the stock 55 pilot with 210 main, A/F 2.0 turns out, and Factory needle on the 4th clip though a stock needle will work fine.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advise guys... I'm goging to dial down the A/F a bit and go with the larger jets over the winter. Have it running really well at the moment and don't want screw with it before our parkway ride this month.
DUMBC... I may bother you on rake info/details over the winter if you don't mind?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Thanks for the advise guys... I'm goging to dial down the A/F a bit and go with the larger jets over the winter. Have it running really well at the moment and don't want screw with it before our parkway ride this month.
DUMBC... I may bother you on rake info/details over the winter if you don't mind?

I wouldn't worry about the A/F that much. With a larger main jet you'll have to probably re-adjust it anyway.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The new breather is sucking more than any of my ex-wives so more air is not really possible unless I go for one of those RAM AIR deals that has been proven to cause "bow-leggedness". My hip and knee do not like to be pushed or touched while riding so that option is out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts