Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and want to say Hi. I'm planning a 10,000 tip starting August. 1st. Route approximately.....LA to Seattle to Rapid City, SD to Minneapolis area, to Toronto, to N.J. to N. Carolina, to Tampa, to Nashville, and make my way home via I-70..I-15. Anyone have the time or inclination to join me part way? VTX-1300 ('05).

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
welcome aboard. enjoy it. gotta question, ask. gotta statement to a post, make it. have fun on that trip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Welcome. Having a little difficulty navigating this site. Have a few concerns about the trip such as, how to find good mechanics along the way if necessary (avoiding dealers if possible). Will my battery hold up (it's great now but November will be three years)? Will new tires I put on, just before leaving, hold up for the 10,000 miles or will I have to replace? Etc., etc. Any thoughts.....?

·
BUFF/Viper/JSF Keeper
931 Posts
Welcome, Cap'n. I'm a touch too far south to hook up with you, but do look forward to stories and pics of your trip. Have much and successful fun!

John

·
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
5,240 Posts
I'd change the battery and tighten it down real good. That is cheap peace of mind.

What tires did you get? They should be OK.

As for mechanics, you can try to plan for them, but if you really need one, you'll probably just get the nearest Honda dealer anyway.

How long will you be on the road?

What was your previous longest ride?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
If you didn't put the stock Duncraps on your tires should be good for the whole trip.

I run the Metz 880s the only other brand that has a front to match the rear and I got around 16000 miles out of the last set.

Keep your tire preasure up to around 38 front and 40 rear for best life.

·
WTF, Over!
8,486 Posts
Welcome, Capt'n. If you need to know anything, just ask, someone here will know it. Let me know if you're coming thru MD. I might be available to hook up. PM me when you get near and if I am available, we can ride some...

·
Wanderer in training
5,307 Posts
I am in Denver headed to Sturgis on August 4th via Gran Tetons, Yellowstone etc. Depending on your schedule we might be able to hook up. 303.503.2606 cell. or pm me either way works.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm near Nashville as would be glad to hook up for a ride. Let me know your schedule. Mine is usually pretty flexible.

W

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Captain, sounds like a great trip... have fun and be safe. not sure but you may want to look into joining the Honda owners group as well. they are very supportive. good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Already Member Honda Riders Club

Thanks for advice. I'm already a Member of Honda Rider's Club including roadside assistance. When the current membership expires, roadside assistance will no longer be offered except thru dealers. I think I'll use the motorcycle add on to my current AAA membership instead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.