Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried to just cut out the entire black plate and pull the tail pipe from the 1300 C slash pipes? I imagine it would be similar to a kiwi mod, but no removal of the tip, and there's still the first baffle untouched. I'm curious to see if it would look and sound right.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Has anybody tried to just cut out the entire black plate and pull the tail pipe from the 1300 C slash pipes? I imagine it would be similar to a kiwi mod, but no removal of the tip, and there's still the first baffle untouched. I'm curious to see if it would look and sound right.
I know there are thread's about it but couldn't find it?
If I remember right they took a piece of broomstick handle about an in long and wedged it into the pipe and used that for the pilot bit guide for a hole saw.

Just use a big enough hole saw to get as close to the edge as you can, and you should be able to get most of the plate out. I can say it won't be easy, the back plate is pretty think. When I did the claton mod on mine I did two 7/8" holes instead of a bunch of small ones and it wasn't easy, and after the first pipe I was thinking "what was I thinking" as I went after the second...:harder:

I forgot to add, even on a slant the hole saw will work because it doesn't need to be in full contact to work and actually will cut faster if it's not. If you do the broomstick in the center even though the plate is angled you can come in straight and cut it from the top to the bottom with the hole saw it just may
require a longer pilot bit.
"I'd also recommend a 1/2" drive electric drill for some extra torque"

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am also interested in this. It is hard to do a hole saw mod on a slanted surface

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw the hole mod done on the new pipes, and that someone did it on the older slants. I'm thinking of using a cutting wheel around the edge, and just cutting out the entire back plate, and then pulling out the pipe w/ vicegrips. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am VERY interested in this.

Please let me know how it goes and any suggestions you might have.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get home in about a month, I will try it then. Just seeing if anyone else has done this instead of clayton or kiwi.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts