Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to clean the starter relay.
I read all the posts regarding problems starting the engine but can't find one with the location of it at the bike; except for links to ones that have pics but for the 1800.
The symptom is the same of some other posts, when trying to start it it just makes a rattle sound coming from under the seat. Started like a month ago and after a few tries if would work; but now just the sound and nothing else.
Battery is OK.
Motorcycle is a 2004 1300C
I removed the sides and seat and included some pictures of the sides and top of the battery, just need some indication where to look for.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Should be dead center of pic.#3 and should have a 30 amp fuse in it and rubber mounted from the parts listing. The positive battery cable should go directly to it then to the starter.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Sending you 3 pages from the 03,04 VTX 1300 manual.
Saved as PDF documents.

Let me know if you can not receive files 2.04 MB in size, and I will PM you the whole section on the starter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the info on relay, but I have an additional problem, when starter button is pushed relay clicks but the dash panel goes blank and headlight goes off, any help would be most appreciated

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
The relay is fine - in 8 years on three boards I have never heard of one going bad an the same for the starter.
Here is where your problem is at.
Click on to enlarge.

You may have to clean the starter switch. It is easy to do, just be careful because there are small parts that can get lost.

Caution when cleaning the switch, there are small parts IE; spring and contact points and a ball bearing on the bottom side.

Park the bike over a large tarp in case you drop something so you can find it.
Don't forget to stretch the little spring a little (not the big one) Just a little. (it's under the little contact).This will help it from burning up again!!.

You can use Vaseline for a lubricant (coat everything inside) for the switch to prevent corrosion and oxidation.
Use WD 40 to clean it then lube it with Vaseline.

Click on the five pictures at the top for a good view of the switch and housing. then do the instructions below.

http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/starter.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery may not have enough power

It may sound silly - I had a similar problem once and it ended up being a bad battery. I never had it checked because I always plugged it in on a tender and it would show a green light after a while.
When I had it checked on a dealer it showed that it wasn't keeping the charge. It may be worthwhile take it to a battery store and check it.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Most definitely check the battery with a load test first like jcoliv said above.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Remove the right cover and you will see it. Pic of mine (switch added) note the two larger cables attachment on the lower left with the reddish looking rubber to the rear....that is your relay.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
mooneydriver is that a momentary switch and what amp side and where/how did you wire it in - across primary of relay or secondary side.

Donut:patriot:

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
mooneydriver is that a momentary switch and what amp side and where/how did you wire it in - across primary of relay or secondary side.

Donut:patriot:
Correct on momentary switch (normally open)....I spliced and soldered the feeder leg into the small Red wire then the switch leg into the Yellow with Red stripe wire in the 4 pin connector that plugs into the starter relay. I had a 15 Amp switch on hand so I use it, but you can use less. The circuit is only fused at 10 Amp. There is an exsisting bracket that you can attach the switch. Something else might make me walk home, but it's not going to be that flimsly Honda starter switch, hee, hee.
:patriot:

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
@moneydriver, i take that is a back up starter switch if the main one fails you can still start the bike with that? if so I would like to see a schematic , sounds like a good Idea to me.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
@moneydriver, i take that is a back up starter switch if the main one fails you can still start the bike with that? if so I would like to see a schematic , sounds like a good Idea to me.
Here you are below..

Wishing all well..:patriot:

All shown switches "normally open" except side stand.

·
Super Moderator
5,464 Posts
Justin, this thread is from 2011! Most of the people that responded to this are long gone from the Cafe. But what was done there was to come off of a constant 12 volt source (such as the red battery terminal) or in this case a 12 volt source near the starter relay, through a momentary contact switch and to the wire that feeds power to the starter relay. Now having said this, this was a VERY bad idea because it bypasses all the safety features built into the circuit. For instance, if you were to toggle that switch with the bike in gear the bike would immediately take off whether you were on it of not, also you could start the bike and drive off with the side stand down and if so the first time you need to make a left turn the side stand would hit the ground and could make it impossible to make that turn or could even throw you off the bike. It is a recipe for disaster. There is a reason that Honda incorporated all those safety features into the start circuit and it is not a good idea to bypass them.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I was 51 when this thread came out.

Reactions: mjklaser

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Mercy, that posting was slow getting up, about 8 years or there about.:patriot:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts