Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I have an 06 VTX 1300s I bought it used from the dealer with 4k miles. I have rode it for 600 miles and now the clutch is slipping bad. let me explain.

I got on the bike today and rode it to work seemed fine but slipping when I goose the throttle to change lanes. I got back on the bike for the ride home and found the clutch would barely ingage. The engine was reving up and bike was barely moving. I stopped and checked the adjuster on the clutch lever it was all the way in I looked at the end on the engine it also is all the way in meaning the clutch should be grabbing fully. I had no choice but to ride the bike so I did so carefully and slowly as I rode the cluch seemed to grab better by the time I got home it was grabbing good but still slipping badly when I goose the throttle.

The dealer claims to have changed the oil in the bike at the time of purchase. I am wondering should I try changing the oil or does this sound like the bike needs to have the clutch replaced. I'm an older rider so I ride fairly gently but have rode all my life. I can do the clutch job myself if thats the issue. I just need some direction so I dont waste time doing un-needed repairs. The bike looks to be well taken care of but I dont know how hard it was rode prior to me buying it. I dont know if the clutch was slipping when I bought it as I said it seemed fine till today. I have the 2 year warranty from Honda but I'm guessing the clutch wont be covered even thought it has very low miles.

If a new clutch is needed are there any recomendations?

Thanx for any and all help

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe...

IMO, If the clutch cable has enough play in it so you know thats not the problem, I'd have to guess that the first owner used energy conserving oil in it and trashed the clutch plates. The EC oil will kill a clutch pretty quick. (probably why it was traded in with only 4K)

I'd see if you can get the dealer to replace it, it's worth a try... Or at least maybe you can get a discount on the parts.

·
175 Posts
I was going to post a similar question today.

I have a 2007 1300C with 14k miles on it. I've been using Shell Rotella synthetic 5w-40w in it since I bought it new. Suddenly a week ago, the clutch slipped pretty dramatically in 5th gear during a hot day (~ 90F). Since then, it's been slipping some intermittently. And it seems to happen primarily after it's warmed up. I changed the oil/filter and the intermittent slipping continues (primarily in 5th gear). I'm going to change it one more time with some Mobile motorcycle-specific oil and see if it helps. :confused:

But I'm kinda freaking out now and wondering if the Shell Rotella synthetic was a bad idea (even though many members have said they use it). :hmm2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doug thank you. I also think that is the case. The dealership claims to have changed the oil in the bike, but I doubt it ever happened. In my experience once trash oil is in the case its next to impossible to remove all traces of it without flushing it a few times with clean oil. I will go ahead and do a complete flush out then install a new clutch and flush it a couple more times to make sure. I guess all in all I'll have piece of mind knowing the clutch is new and the proper oil is in the bike. The Steelership wants 200.00 just to take it apart to see if its warranty or not. Told them to shit in there hat I can replace the clutch and flush it for 200.00 myself and I know it will be done rite.

Logan I only use make specific oils in my bikes. IE Honda's get Honda Oil the reason is it's one less thing to think about when something is wrong. I know there are better oils and lubes out there. I been turning wrenches for a living for 25 years. In the end if I use the oils and lubes listed in the manual the warranty wont be questioned.

I hope you get it sorted out and get back to riding. I'll be tearing my clutch out this week so I'll post how it goes. Everything I read says put the MTC clutch set in. I have allways used barnett sets, but I think the MTC is worth a shot.

Joe

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
That's B/S, if they sold you the bike with a warranty, this clutch better damn well be covered, there is pretty much no way you tore up a clutch in 600mi, and if it's an oil issue, it's on them, the service dept should have caught that with their multi-point inspection before ever selling the bike period. Raise hell with 'em & let us know how it goes.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
That's B/S, if they sold you the bike with a warranty, this clutch better damn well be covered, there is pretty much no way you tore up a clutch in 600mi, and if it's an oil issue, it's on them, the service dept should have caught that with their multi-point inspection before ever selling the bike period. Raise hell with 'em & let us know how it goes.
+100000000...talk to the owner of the shop and let hijm know what's going on..if he gives you the same line of BS, then inform him that he better be prepared for having a VTX sticking out of his ass...I had to say this very thing to the owner of the dealership I got mine from over a Honda Bonus Bucks/ accessories argument that I won using this tactic...:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree there is no way even if I faned the clutch it should have lasted more then 600 miles. I gave the dealership an ear full today. The problem is I will have to tow the bike there at 150.00 cost, then if they find it wasnt a warranty issue I have to pay 200 to them then another 150 to have it towed back to my home. Will just be cheaper to just do the job myself and talk shit about the dealer and trust me I will do the shit talk inside the dealership around customers because I'm as my wife says and Asshole.

I'm 99% sure the dealer will claim it's not a warranty issue if the last owner drove this bike carelessly in regards to the clutch they will find the clutch worn down and that some how will be my fault I'm sure. That 52 point inspection they do is the biggest joke in town they never left the lot to test drive the bike so any clutch slippage would have gone un-noticed, but they told me there is no way it would have left with a clutch issue. I'm livid about this and would love to drive this bike through the showroom window the problem is the clutch wont engage hard enough to climb the curb.

Joe

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Did you try adjusting the clutch out at the grip lever and then taking up the slack at the bottom end. Then do the final adjustment at the lever end.

Donut

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
There is no way the clutch should be bad, I drop mine and hit gears very hard all the time and the bike has 63000 miles on it sometimes the clutch will growl a bit and grab when cold.

the 1800 uses the same friction plates as the 1300

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I adjusted the clutch cable at the lever then at the bottom and again at the lever all adjustments are maxed the lever has very little freeplay adjusters maxed so it cant get any more it was slipping so bad I had to start off walking the bike to get it moving as I said tho as it warmed up the clutch was engaging better but still slipping pretty bad

·
Registered
706 Posts
It was damaged when you bought it. There is an implied warranty in play here as you did not receive what you contrated for. Take them to small claims but get a professional assesment before you go.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered a new clutch kit last night for it but will be taking pictures as I dissasemble. I'll be taking the clutch discs back to the dealer if they dont reimburse me for the clutch I'll show them around to customers at that store during there promotion. I talked with the store manager he said bring them the clutch if it was bad they will pay me for the new one.
cant wait to get back on the road only had the bike a month and I love riding it

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
I ordered a new clutch kit last night for it but will be taking pictures as I dissasemble. I'll be taking the clutch discs back to the dealer if they dont reimburse me for the clutch I'll show them around to customers at that store during there promotion. I talked with the store manager he said bring them the clutch if it was bad they will pay me for the new one.
cant wait to get back on the road only had the bike a month and I love riding it
While you have it down you might do the drilling of the basket for better oiling.

Here is the link to the tech write up on it.
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=19067

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Hmm,,, The 13's aren't really known for ever having clutch issues,,,,

Is there any way possible that the cable or arm is hanging up or something?

I got on the bike today and rode it to work seemed fine but slipping when I goose the throttle to change lanes. I got back on the bike for the ride home and found the clutch would barely ingage. The engine was reving up and bike was barely moving.

From what you're describing, it seems to have went away 'very fast',,, not like it was slipping for 'weeks',,,,,,

Seems strange,,, back when mine just started to slip a bit, I could have ridden for 'weeks' if I had taken ity easy,,,,

Hmmm,

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry u r having a problem. I know a guy who only uses shell rotella in all his bikes (bmw,s). Prolly not the issue, but I,m no expert.

I just had my oil changed in my bike, done at the dealer, they used mobil 120w50.runs fine

·
Erect Member
11,582 Posts
might want to make sure if it has a clutch relief by glens or hickman on it that its installed right. when alan and i installed mine year before last, i rode all the way home to va from nc with the clutch not fully engaging...got home, loosened the bolt, the lever clicked maybe 1/16th of an inch...and never slipped again. just a thought before investing alot of time and money in a new clutch. it shouldnt be slipping with that kind of mileage at all...

·
Registered
801 Posts
As has been stated ... the dealer should have performed a thorough inspection of the bike that epicdoom purchased when it was traded in. However, with only 4k miles from the previous owner, their "checklist procedures" may have taken for granted too many things were supposed to be in OK condition ... the clutch among them.

From the description provided and for how "fast" the problem evidenced itself, I'd venture that the previous owner had inadvertently used a EC (Energy Conserving) oil. These oils are usually found in 5w30, 5w40 and some 10w30 "off the shelf" oils at auto parts stores and WallyWorld and the like. You should always use a good brand of 10w40 (non-EC), 15w40 or 20w50 oil to ensure that you stay away from the EC garbage.

Usually the EC oil takes a bit of time to work its magic in destroying a set of friction discs in the clutch, so the fact that after having ridden the bike for a short while, it suddenly began showing problems in a one-day time frame is a possibility.

I hope that you get your problem resolved without having to show your a$$ at the dealership. And for the $300 costs to get you bike to the dealer and back, I might have chosen a dealer a bit closer to home or borrow a friend's trailer to get it there and back home if necessary. If the dealership is willing to extend the courtesy of reimbursing you for the clutch parts, take their offer and go quietly. No need to create a scene if they're willing to meet you most of the way. I have no love for the dealer where I purchased my bike. Unfortunately, many folks just don't know any better than to return to their dealer for all of their bike's needs. And some dealers are better than others.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
might want to make sure if it has a clutch relief by glens or hickman on it that its installed right. when alan and i installed mine year before last, i rode all the way home to va from nc with the clutch not fully engaging...got home, loosened the bolt, the lever clicked maybe 1/16th of an inch...and never slipped again. just a thought before investing alot of time and money in a new clutch. it shouldnt be slipping with that kind of mileage at all...
That's kinda what I'm thinkin,,,, something just seems 'off' here somehow,,,

True, the clutch could simply be cooked, but how and why?

Too many people are successfully runnin the Rotella T to consider it to be the problem,,,,

With the clutch lever released, is there any, 100% loose, 'free travel' left in clutch arm on the tranny????

(Might have to check it several times)

Nothing sticking or wedged or 'funky' going on???? :hmm2:

from the description provided and for how "fast" the problem evidenced itself, i'd venture that the previous owner had inadvertently used a ec (energy conserving) oil.

Could be, i guess,,, from what i understand, the frictions 'absorb' the stuff in ec oil over time and then they tend to slip,,,,

I am not calling anybody wrong here, but is it truly that fast to go from 'some' full power slip to hardly moving in the same day just due to ec oil? It just seems like such a sudden degredation compared to the time span in 'normal' (!?!?) clutch related failures,,,

. And some dealers are better than others.
+100000000!!!!!!!!!

EPIC, I have to ask,,,, You mentioned you are an easy driver. (Me too!) Is this 'more or less' the first time you 'hammered' the throttle since you got it???? Any chance there was mild slippage when you brought it home from the dealer?

Surely the dealer didn't slip in some EC oil,,,,,,,

1 - 20 of 67 Posts