Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has happened twice in my last 3 rides. I will be cruising at a steady 70-75mpg and it is like i completely lose power to the bike but all lights stay on and the bike is still technically running. However, if i give it more gas, it will not move and the engine does not rev. Each time, i have pulled to the side of the road with the clutch in and once i get to low speeds (<30), i can feel the bike rev again. If i let the clutch out, it has power again like nothing ever happened. I get off of the bike to check that my vacuum line didn't pop off (happened the day i got the bike and was devastated when it kept dying until i learned that it was a 2 second fix). Coincidently, the last two times this happened, i turned my speakers off right before this happened. I don't see how this can be related, as my speakers are wired directly to the battery.

The two things that come to my mind are:
1. I have logged about 5k miles on this bike and i recently switched to 87 octanes about a month ago after reading on this forum. I never had an issue in the past and both times my bike cutout, it was after the switch to 87. I know many on here say you can run 86, and higher octane is a waste but has anyone on here experienced these issues with the lower octane?
2. In my head, the turning off the speakers shouldn't cause the issue unless there is a slight spike in the battery amps when the speaker turns off and the bike has a safety feature when too many amps are applied?? Doesn't make much sense but i'm trying to figure this out and just thinking of all possibilities.

On another note, the bike randomly did this about 30 miles into the ride. I then went on to ride another 160 miles (round trip) and it did not happen again. I tried to replicate the speaker situation 3-4 times in safe areas, trying to get the bike to act up so i could at least see if this was the issue. I have also gone on several 80+ mile rides and the issue did not happen at all.

I am trying to get this figured out ASAP because i am going on a 40-rider ride in two weeks with a new group. I don't want to be the guy that has to pull over and ruin the flow with a group of riders i've never ridden with. Not a super great first impression.

Thanks to any feedback/ideas.

· Registered
45 Posts
Check your fuel supply. There’s a small filter where gas line enters carburetor. There is a long fuel filter that is on the petcock inside the tank. These have been know to deteriorate and possibly the debris is momentarily clogging your fuel line.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check your fuel supply. There’s a small filter where gas line enters carburetor. There is a long fuel filter that is on the petcock inside the tank. These have been know to deteriorate and possibly the debris is momentarily clogging your fuel line.
Filled my tank recently and as soon as my fuel level gets low, this was my next thing to check. Was going to replace both filters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts